Doom Guy: Life in First Person by John Romero

usfsigepjoe's review against another edition

As a kid who grew up playing Castle Wolfenstein on the C64 and then was exposed to Wolfenstein 3D and Doom at the end of high school, this book was right in my wheelhouse.

John's recollection of history is something to be admired, as is his honesty in the part he played during the id breakup and the Ion Storm issues. The Daikatana ad was one of the worst marketing ideas since New Coke, but in the age of remakes I would love to see if current tech could better represent his original vision.

This book is a shot of video game nostalgia, and I would especially recommend it to anyone interested in game development.

themorsecode's review against another edition

emotional hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted reflective medium-paced

I grew up with Carmack's Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake so hearing more about their creation and the man behind them was fascinating.  He's a reflective and smart guy, clearly still unhappy with some of the choices made in his life but remaining stoic. It's a difficult book to recommend if you're not a fan of video games, and particularly the 80s/90s PC gaming scene as he does get into the weeds frequently but I enjoyed it way more than I expected.

hcd's review

informative reflective medium-paced

imposterwalrus's review against another edition

informative lighthearted reflective medium-paced

mtferal's review

hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

laureng's review

inspiring reflective medium-paced

sisyphista's review

A compelling peak behind the curtain into the turbulent development of the most important game(s) in history. Romero in longform presents just as thoughtful, kind, and intelligent as he always has. Mandatory reading for any fan of Romero's work, and gaming in general.

davidsandilands's review

emotional informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

brakywaki's review

I’ve always enjoyed John Romero as a personality but I had no idea what he went through to become who he was. Proof that you can make the most of a rough childhood with enough skill and maybe a little luck. Also frankly deepened my lack of appreciation for John Carmack. Dude just seems like a robot.

ferhats's review against another edition

informative inspiring reflective medium-paced