The Stone Sky, by N.K. Jemisin

reasek's review against another edition

dark tense slow-paced

tanekaberi's review against another edition

What to add to all the words that have been said about this book/series? Really enjoyed all the installments and the ending was powerful/hopeful. Highly recommended.

taz100's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional sad medium-paced

fairymodmother's review against another edition

Loved it. Ended the way a series should, I think. I feel complete and at peace, but still unsure, still prepared for the next adventure, even though likely it won't come (or at least, no time soon.)

I am not going to do my usual break down, because this is not just the book, but the completion of a series. Suffice to say, if you enjoyed the first two, you'll love this one. If you did not love the first two, what are you doing here? Shoo, fly, there are other things to love, you should be with them.

As usual, Nora managed to lay realizations on me exactly at the time she intended, and some of them were doozies! And as previous, the allegory is both obvious and yet so personal that it does not feel like attack. So much truth in a book about the impossible. I guess that is why we read fantasy, no? To explore reality in something safer? Something more like a test environment? Or, at least this kind of fantasy.

Definitely one of my favorite series of all time.

pinpilinpaux's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

readingwithmerb's review against another edition

The conclusion the N. K. Jemisin's The Broken Earth trilogy was chaotic, splendid and heartbreaking. The middle section was a bit of a slog, completely due to me not understanding the content. The last thirty pages were magic. Everything finally came to a head, and it was executed with perfection. The ways in which everything all tied together, all the differing story lines connected, was fantastic and moving. All the metaphors of racism and prejudice throughout this book were spot on and unapologetic. I was moved by the brilliantly cruel writing. I cannot wait to read more by N. K. Jemisin! I definitely recommend this trilogy if you enjoy heavy fantasy that leans towards world building, and enjoy your writing to be ambiguous and speculative. This is definitely a story I will think about and come back to again.

kimberly28's review against another edition

sadieriley's review against another edition

adventurous dark reflective tense medium-paced

rsilvery's review

"What we are doing is pointless and Geoarcanity is a lie" - a wonderful science fiction condemnation of capitalism

refleksvest's review against another edition

Great finale. I'm going to miss The Stillness.