Guilty, by Laura Elliot

allenfarm's review

Boring

I have to admit, I skimmed the majority of this book. It started off strong but then any mystery was resolved at the 35% mark. After that it turned from murder mystery to revenge plot, but this wasn’t done very well and largely fell flat. The introduction to the Plinks was over the top for me. The vagueness over just who had Marcus during those scenes was not necessary since everywhere else in the story you were being told who had him. It was a very quick and easy read but it was just entirely too boring.

sparklylikeaholiday's review

You can see all of my reviews at http://www.darktwistybooks.com

My Review

I wanted to like Guilty by Laura Elliot, I really did. I still gave it 3 stars because it was well paced, the story line was good, and there were parts I loved. That said, there were also parts I didn't love.

Many of the reviews (and even the book description) talk about Constance's disappearance. Yes, Constance's disappearance is what started the chain of events. But to me, this book was about Amanda Bowe. So I will start there.

Amanda Bowe is a journalist on the rise. She is having a tawdry affair with a cop who is leaking information to her. Particularly about the disappearance of 13-year old Constance. Amanda is certain without a doubt that her uncle, Karl, is "the guy". So in a series of news articles, she has, in short, ruined his life.

I enjoyed this part of the book. It's AMAZING what a few misconstrued, slightly twisted words on paper can do to a person's life. Her articles never lied, but they sure did twist the truth around.

Revenge

This story, from this point on becomes about revenge. But that's where it lost me. There was so much potential there and I enjoyed the premise. However, a little bit of the story was too "out there" for me. I did not enjoy the 'plinks' part of the story line at all. I found myself skimming over parts. That is always a tell tale sign that the enjoyment was lost somewhere.

The ending didn't wow me much either. There is definitely some deeper meaning to the end of the story line, but it went over my head. I had trouble seeing understanding the underlying symbolism.

This story of revenge and bad karma had more potential. That is not to say that you won't enjoy the book.  5 star reviews - and lots of them. I am definitely in the minority here. The author's writing was enjoyable and the cover is AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL. The author's other books appeal to me, and am looking forward to giving them a try.

Thank you to Laura Elliot, Net Galley, and Bookouture for the copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

leona95's review

This book started out brilliant for me and I was practically glued to the pages . Unfortunately however it faded a bit in the second half and at times I was struggling through it . I know others will love this book but it dragged a it for me .

mistysbookspace's review

Thanks to NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
This book is broken up into 4 parts. Part 1 is about the disappearance of a teenager. This part is very fast paced and the case gets resolved in this section. Parts 2-4 follow a few key characters from the first part and how what happened then affects each of them in the future and the pacing for these parts isn't always consistent. I can't believe I put off reading this book for so long. This book put me through an emotional ringer. I went through so many emotions while reading this. It pulls at your heartstrings at times and at others times it pisses you off so much that you want to throw the book. When I say it pissed me off I don't mean that in a bad way I just mean that I felt so bad for one of the characters. I was mad and frustrated on his behalf. I will definitely be looking into what other books this author has written.

tgodby's review

Read it for book club. I enjoyed it. I probably wouldn't have picked it for myself but I was worth the time spent.

debsd's review

There is, I think, the kernel of a good story here, but the execution is dreadful. I found the writing to be poor and often it wasn't even written in full sentences. Informal conversations were written in language that was much too formal; slightly more formal situations (e.g. police interviews) were even more formal, and incredibly awkward. The newspaper "clippings" were just dire - I know of no self-respecting newspaper that would publish anything so badly-written. There was an enormous quantity of exposition. There were situations which were not even faintly credible; for example, when the police search a character's house, he does not even tell his wife - she finds out the next day, from a newspaper article. As this was an ARC, I did try to give it a fair shake, but gave up about one-third of the way through and moved on to something I could enjoy reading.

aliciasargeant's review

I'm surprised to see so many four-star reviews. It felt forced putting the different pieces of the story together. The book was very choppy and did not flow for me at all.

julieg23's review

3.5/5 I really liked the idea for the story but I felt it was over complicated and I found it quite hard going in the middle as it was very far fetched. I did enjoy the ending though!

trashmouth's review

I think this is one of the worst books I’ve ever read. It shouldn’t count as a thriller, I’ve read a gorrier R.L. Stine book. There was no psychological part of it, and it was very un-suspenseful, everything was predictable. The plot was unrealistic, and the second half is 100% a repeat of the first half, literally the exact same thing, leaving me unsatisfied.

meggyroussel's review

I am starting to like diving into books completely blind. Not reading blurbs helps to keep an open mind on the story you start. It's not always possible, but here I jumped on the offer to take part in the blog tour at the last minute, and I do not regret this decision!

Of course, when I took a look at Guilty's cover, I was hooked. The colors, the balloon, the chimneys. A homey feeling contrasting with the taglines. A comforting and normal view threatened by chilling and ominous words. My favorite kind of covers.

I had a pretty good idea where this book was going to take me from the beginning. Relying on the events that were unfolding in front of me, I assumed it would follow a linear path up until the end except... This book has no straight path! This story is a giant hole into hell, with a dark and greasy ladder with pitfalls and spiders. Get ready for the bites!

I immediately felt for Karl. The Guilty label is so easy to get. One gesture, one misinterpreted word, one tricky situation, and the world around you turns grey. All it takes is a hint from someone. Sometimes it's innocent, sometimes it's not. The aftermath is always a disaster.

What starts as a missing child case turns into a reenacting of Salem's trials as Karl goes from the caring uncle to the prime suspect in his niece's disappearance thanks to a clever and frightening manipulation of the media. We have seen it happen. People see what they want to see, and it's in our nature to look for someone to hold responsible. I have always thought it made things more bearable to point the finger and unleash the anger on a name, a face, whenever something terrible happens. Everything happened so fast that all I could do was shake my head and watch the tailspin engulf Karl. I was shocked by the little amount of time and information it took for his life to crumble, for his family to react. It was painful, it was unfair, it raised my blood pressure and shattered a little more my already broken hope for a fair world. Communities need a scapegoat to explain the worst. The doors closing one after the other were so real I felt I was the one left in the cold with no chance of coming back.

Did fear have a smell that caught at the back of the throat and make it hard to breathe?

Suddenly I was taken years later, on the other side of the road. Amanda, a sweet name and the cunning weapon that used a family's pain and destroyed lives with her articles and innuendos, is living the life. The chapters from her perspective never ever made me warm to her, no matter how many times the brilliantly raw writing tried to give me a different perspective. I had nothing but contempt for such a character, and I am not ashamed to admit that the second part of the book was very satisfying for me. Seeing Amanda's world turn to a nightmare, with her past coming to bite her in the arse, from different angle, was a delight. I sound like a monster right now, but I do believe in karma and in getting what you deserve in the end. Those crime books are turning me into a dark person!!!

This part of the book was fiendishly well-plotted and weaved, and my confusion at the change of point of view soon became a gritty need to see a woman thrown down her pedestal. Isn't this why we buy tabloids and watch reality shows, or even the news? To see people vulnerable and pushed to their limits? We are guilty, too.

Blood was easily wiped away, especially when it was fresh, but guilt had proved impossible to eradicate.

Amanda is not a one-dimensional character and she makes for an interesting protagonist to follow, but like the crowd holding torches, I only wanted her to pay for what she had done.

The thing is we are all guilty in different ways. Guilty to be gullible, guilty with blood in our hands, guilty to use words as guns to kill the deer, guilty of lying, guilty of eating that second serving of pie, guilty of feeling, guilty of closing the door... The list could go on and on. I loved how the author used the notion of guilt and how it surrounds us, how no one is as white as an angel and how life has a way of teaching you a lesson. Even if it's your choice to learn it or not.

This story works as a mirror, the disappearance of the young Constance putting you in the middle of the action from the start, before letting you get a bit of a relief from the tension as years go by, as you wonder why things take a good turn for some and leave the worst to others, wondering about the reasons why, just to be thrown into another, oh so similar scenario, and this gut-wrenching feeling of losing it all. The distress, the pain, the questions, they all come back to haunt Amanda, and despite my contempt for her, I just had to know what happened, I wanted justice, I wanted blood, I was guilty of being high hooked on this dark and unbearable suspense.

I am guilty of having had my head turned upside down with this brilliant and entertaining story that resonates in all of us every time a terrifying headline makes it to the news. I am guilty of having loved being faced with human nature when the beauty is gone thanks to a cold, gripping, and realistic portrayal of our society and one of its biggest flaw.

I would like to thank Bookouture for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review and for letting me be a part of this blog tour.