Shadows of Self, by Brandon Sanderson

eek5445's review against another edition

Still loving this second era of Mistborn. Wayne continues to be witty and amazing, we get a lot more of Marasi's POV, and kandra are back to cause general mayhem.

recoveryclap's review against another edition

agh I downloaded this book w/ a bunch of other fantasy books thinking that this was a standalone but it WASN'T which explains why it took me 163863 yrs to actually fully comprehend what was going on

but anw if u like guns, politics, and spiritual warfare. read this

vandreitt's review against another edition

Uno queda preguntándose desde qué tan atrás y con cuánta antelación se planearon las cosas...

meoh0a98's review against another edition

The ending man

dustiestrain's review against another edition

Easy fun read like the alloy of law but the plot and antagonist didn't grip me quite the way alloy of law did. But it did have a really good pay off in the end but I felt like there was only one big revelation I cared about compared to other Sanderson books where my mind is being blown multiple times by the end of the book. I would give it like 3.8 out of 5

carlq's review against another edition

“Every man had to die. He’d always found it odd that so many died when they were old, as logic said that was the point in their lives when they’d had the most practice not dying.”
― Brandon Sanderson, Shadows of Self

Shadows of Self is the second book in the second Mistborn trilogy (the 5th overall) and continues the story of Waxillium "Wax" Ladrian, exploring more of his past and focusing on his new role as an officially deputised lawman with the constabulary. In an epic crime-thriller as Wax looks to uncover mysteries that tie together both his bloody past and present whilst fighting for and against forces impossibly bigger and stronger than himself. Along with Wax, Wayne and Marasi continue to be both supportive characters but also manage to stand out in their own regards, offering their own viewpoints and storylines.

Shadows of Self continues with the generally smaller scale and lighter tone than the original trilogy, but manages to maintain a heartfelt and emotional story that both adds new elements to the ever expanding world and ties the story and character experiences into the history and world we have previously explored.

Overall, an addictive storyline with great characters that leaves you on the edge of your seat. What an ending!

wmhenrymorris's review against another edition

This is Sanderson's most successful unsuccessful book in that you can feel him trying to write better women characters, trying to deal with deeper social and philosophical issues, trying to deepen the wit so that it's not just humor but also pathos. This leads to some clunky moments. The seams are showing. But I very much appreciate the effort. And, of course, the overall mystery plot and action scenes are solid as should be expected.

nishagmenon's review against another edition

Whatever.

So, I wasn't planning to continue with the series after how much I loved Alloy of Law but a "friend" (under review now) convinced me this was all that old Sanderson jazz and more. I finished this book in under 3 days to GET IT OVER WITH.

I want to cry. I saved this series for a rainy month because Sanderson ALWAYS delivers. Or maybe I'm not reading right? That has to be a thing. I feel like I lost an ability or something. I can't do Netflix, I need some good fantasy reads to chill, but this is getting me riled up. 2020 sucks!

Ignore my review, people. Everybody seems to have loved it. You'll be fine. Go pick it up, enjoy it while I ball up in the corner and mope about how Sanderson did me wrong.

I mean there wasn't any real character growth, the plot was a slight improvement on Alloy of Law, I liked the Harmony vs. rogue Kandra in Wayne's head bits, the Kandra (MeLaan and TenSoon) were a welcome addition and the classic twist in the end was a real zinger but none of it really lifted off the pages for me. I feel like some authors really have a stamp of their own. Colleen Hoover has a particular style you'll feel right at home with a chapter into any book of hers, its the same with say a James Hadley Chase, a Gabriel García Márquez book and a handful of others. It was true for a Sanderson book too, until now.

I didn't feel any of that Sanderson magic. Well, my loss. Anyway, I'm finishing this series since I've made it till here anyway. 2020 sucks!!

vengence99's review against another edition

This was a great continuation to the Mistborn Era 2 series. I didn't expect that twist near the end, but damn I can't wait to read Bands of Mourning.

gossiekoe's review against another edition

3.5 stars