Leviathan Falls by James S.A. Corey

jon288's review against another edition

A brilliant end to the series. I've thoroughly enjoyed these, and helped by the good audiobook narration. Great characters and setting. This one answered most of the big questions and gave fitting ends to the characters. I think some of the wonder and fun was in having questions left unanswered, but if they hadn't been resolved it would have been way less enjoyable

mikeymikec85's review against another edition

adventurous dark medium-paced

bgoodlin's review against another edition

adventurous emotional tense fast-paced

neawis's review against another edition

adventurous challenging inspiring medium-paced

jamo_etc's review against another edition

adventurous dark sad medium-paced

I can't believe it's over.

dale_in_va's review against another edition

So sad to see the end of this extremely well done series and saying goodbye to these characters. The final book does not dissappoint, but definitely feels like resolution. And who can not love a book about "Fucking James Holden!" lol...

jj_ashwood's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional informative inspiring mysterious sad tense medium-paced

matt_vogel's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious sad fast-paced

hankiss's review against another edition

adventurous dark hopeful mysterious sad tense medium-paced

mary_soon_lee's review against another edition

This is the ninth and concluding book in the Expanse series, a series I have enjoyed greatly. I highly recommend it to those who've read the other eight books: it sticks the landing, bringing the science fiction epic to a proper conclusion. I'd give 5 out of 5 stars for the series taken as a whole: ambitious in its scope and ideas, with core characters that I grew very fond of.

To those who have *not* read the earlier books, I think it's far better to begin at book one, Leviathan Wakes. This ninth book builds on the series-long sprawling plot, and, for me, derived much of its pleasure in returning to characters I cared about. I'll avoid plot specifics, but there are mild spoilers ahead.
SpoilerThe book shifts between roughly a dozen point-of-view characters, including a substantial portion from the original Roci crew (Jim, Naomi, Alex). [Amos has a significant and satisfying presence, but the story is not told from his perspective.] The large majority of the characters are sympathetic, though I didn't much like Tanaka. The story reaches very high stakes and contains science-fictional strangeness (she said cryptically). I was startled by one aspect of the ending, which I won't name here, but found it appropriate.

Almost inevitably, I'm sad to have come to the end of the series, but I had a fine time on the journey. 4 out of 5 concluding stars for Leviathan Falls.

About my reviews: I try to review every book I read, including those that I don't end up enjoying. The reviews are not scholarly, but just indicate my reaction as a reader, reading being my addiction. I am miserly with 5-star reviews; 4 stars means I liked a book very much; 3 stars means I liked it; 2 stars means I didn't like it (though often the 2-star books are very popular with other readers and/or are by authors whose other work I've loved).