The Guest List by Lucy Foley

ceodell25's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense slow-paced

timy1a's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

Didn’t love the end but what’s new tbh. Absolutely loved that they had a whole cast of narrators

esperall's review

dark emotional mysterious fast-paced

rmacfarlane93's review against another edition

I enjoyed this book, it’s a very classic multiple stories all merge into one as you get to the end.

I loved the plot and the characters - I haven’t really lost myself in a book in a long time and I could really visualise the characters! It’s well written and such a capturing read!

jesslolsen's review against another edition

I stayed up way past my bedtime and inhaled this book! I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough.

So much drama! So many secrets and twists!

There are multiple POV and on top of that it also switches between past and present (the wedding). From other reviews it sounds like some others didn’t like this, but I personally loved it, it was cleverly done so it was easy for me to stay on track with who was doing what, and it gave a much more detailed insight into each different person and their story!

There are a lot of unlikeable and tragic characters in this story, but they are necessary for the story, otherwise the ending wouldn’t be as thrilling.

I actually can’t think of one negative thing to say about this story ⭐️

victoriawl93's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

megsreads's review against another edition

An abandoned, remote Irish island. A high profile wedding. Long buried secrets.

It’s a strange thing when you consider that the dead on this island far outnumber the living, even now that some of the guests have arrived.

Lucy Foley crafts a surprising and suspenseful thriller that will keep you guessing til the end. Not only do you have no idea who the murderer is, but you also do not know who the victim is until over 90% of the way through the book. For this reason it is much more of a psychological thriller with many different interpersonal mysteries than a traditional whodunit.

A bride chooses a remote Irish island for her destination wedding and in just 36 short hours, a murder takes place. The book alternates between chapters from the perspectives of Aiofe—the wedding planner, Jules—the bride, Hannah—the plus one, Johnno—the best man, and Olivia—the bridesmaid.

Although it ended rather abruptly, I enjoyed this slow burn thriller that asks how far would you go for revenge? ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

alexisweigel's review against another edition

This one really captivated me! Did not see the ending coming. Overall really enjoyed it!

hurtvonnegut's review against another edition

So many delightful twists and turns. I was on edge for over half the book. It ended abruptly and I wish there was a bit more closure but I loved this story.

rmehta's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

This story took a bit for me to get into with the changing POVs and non-linear narration. However it was interesting to try and predict how the backstories of characters would intersect.
I was frustrated that it took till almost 90% of the book for us to find out who died, but looking back it was the right choice because we knew almost everyone's motivations for wanting him dead, so there wasn't actually much story left to explain