The Guest List, by Lucy Foley

alisea's review against another edition

J'ai eu du mal avec le début et la présentation de tous les personnages, mais la fin est super!

sara_phoenix's review

dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

The bride. The groom. The best man. The plus one. The sister. The wedding planner. The murder.  On a remote Irish island, power couple Jules and Will are getting married.  They are the pair you love to hate – beautiful, successful, perfect.  But things aren’t always as they seem, and as the night evolves, secrets are revealed.  Told from different points of view, Foley weaves together a great psychological thriller.  While I don’t usually gravitate to this genre, I was hooked – this book is full of twists and turns that are actually believable.  I loved the moody, atmospheric setting of the remote Irish island which was well constructed and carried just as much weight as the characters. Foley does a remarkable job at building character layers and keeping you on your toes - you don’t know who was murdered until the very end!  I typically don’t enjoy unreliable characters, but she does a great job of making each character authentic. Sadly, this book fell flat for me with the abrupt ending.  So much was built up in the story, the scenery, and the characters that I wanted the ending to really hit it out of the park, but the reveal was a bit disappointing.

ekloretto's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

hannahrose23's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

ellie_m's review

*3.75-4 stars... I can't make up my mind

Alright, after thinking about this book for longer I have to say that I quite enjoyed this. This does not mean the ending was great, but the story was pretty good. The thing with this book is that it is VERY IMPORTANT to go into this book knowing what kind of mystery/thriller book this is. If you go into this book thinking this will be high action wham-bam shazam you will be greatly disappointed. This book is more about learning the secrets of everyone and trying to figure out the mystery for yourself. This book is not very "thrillery" but instead is very mysterious and makes you question everyone. Once you realize that YOU are the one doing the sleuthing it becomes a really fun read, especially since it really is possible to figure it out. I really enjoyed putting the pieces together and coming up with theories. And because the book is kinda slow it allows you time to process everything you are learning and really figure out the mystery.

SPOILERS BELOW
Okay so if you have read this book you know the ending. What was it? Like what? I felt like it was ruined the entire book in a way since everyone wanted to kill him. Soooo.. basically whoever you were guessing was the murderer throughout the book, you were essentially correct. It's just "they didn't get the chance before you know who got to him". I did like that the book really didn't conclude until the last page. I also liked how things were tied together for the most part.

My least favorite part of this book was all the drinking that was going on throughout every scene. The amount of alcohol consumed was not normal and I would think would result in much worse hangovers than the characters actually experienced. I also didn't like how drinking was used to make the characters seem more suspicious, especially seen in the ushers and best man. This can be seen throughout the story. A scene I particularly didn't care for was when they take Will to the cave and are acting all drunk and then the best man just suddenly snaps out of his drunkenness. I felt like that was very unrealistic especially since he would probably be very drunk from all his previous drinking. All the drinking with the ushers and the usher's personalities confused me especially since Jules and Will do not seem like people who would be heavy drinkers or partyers. Jules was so set on having the perfect wedding but when you look at the people she invited its just a recipe for disaster.

Despite these parts of the book, I really enjoyed trying to figure out the mystery and theorizing what the twist would be.

jillyfinch's review

dark mysterious tense slow-paced

okay so some positive things are:
  • the timeline of the story, how it jumps back and forth.
  • the closure everyone got in the end.
  • HOW ALL THE CHARACTERS ENDED UP TYING TOGETHER
  • The last 50 pages, because that’s when it got interesting

the sake of pitting women against each other for drama  wasn’t cute. Charlie and Jules decision wasn’t cute. And I would have loved for a conversation between Jules and Hannah for that. stop writing women who are insecure about themselves and their marriages and have to picture themselves with other men to feel worth.

I would recommend this STORY to anyone, but not the book itself.

ahayes's review

I really enjoyed this book, but felt like the first 50-100 pages were a little slow. It did help develop the characters and all their back stories, but it took me 10 days to get through it. I did put some of the pieces together early in the book and did guess the ending, but with a slightly different twist. All in all, a very enjoyable read.

scubacat's review

4.5 stars. Really engaging and fast. I liked the narration style of hearing from lots of different characters. The jumps between past and present were easy to track. The best part about this book is that it kept me guessing until the very last minute. I had no idea who was dead or who had killed them until the moment the author wanted me to know. I think that is really unusual these days -it feels like I've guessed the "twist" of everything the last few years. So that makes it a winner in my book. It loses half a star because I really hated all but one of the characters. They were all such assholes and so unlikeable - even the characters who weren't meant to be.

jumpinjords's review