susannelucyluisa's review against another edition

funny lighthearted fast-paced

pumpkinspicebooks's review against another edition

absolutely did not think i was going to give this book 5 stars when i started, but yet here i am. i read the dutch translation, and you could maybe say that my brand is hating dutch translations, but this was great.

i LOVED phoebe. she reminded me so much of myself when i was 15. especially her hate for people and the confusion of how dumb people can be sometimes. sometimes i had a feeling she could be on the autistic spectrum, but i don’t want to label anything. i say this because i saw so much of my own behaviour in her, it was just something i noticed.

and the romance

_abigailconnelly's review against another edition

funny lighthearted fast-paced

bellapot06's review against another edition

funny lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

flingornas_herre's review against another edition

Kul men ingen fyra pga kommer inte minnas den om tre månader

zil's review against another edition

fast-paced

amiefiremoon's review against another edition

"Fair enough, Shakepeare was popular and wrote a lot of plays, but Romeo and Juilet is actually a bit shit, isn't it? It's basically teenagers throwing a major tantrum."

Love is for Losers by Wibke Brueggemann is a wry, witty, sensitive coming of age story. Fifteen year old Phoebe finds herself without a touchstone when her mom (once again) leaves her to help refugees for Medecins Internationale and her best friend, Polly, is solely focused on her new boyfriend. Fortunately, her mom's best friend, Kate, is always there to help guide her through the ups and downs of teen life and be her surrogate family. When Phoebe finds herself unexpectedly developing her first crush, she does everything in her power to fall out of love, but can she succeed before it's too late?

I loved everything about this book! I found the characters to be endearingly flawed and absolutely wanted the best outcome for Phoebe. The pacing was quick and I thought the diary entry style really allowed me to connect with Phoebe's mindset. This is a sweet story that channels all the angst and irritation of first love and redefines what it means to receive unconditional love.

Advanced readers' copy provided courtesy of the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Available 2021.

theaohnem's review against another edition

funny lighthearted sad

kitvaria_sarene's review against another edition

challenging emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring reflective fast-paced

I loved this, but it is a bit of a hard one to recommend.

On the one hand, it is is funny and entertaining, and very close to actual teen life these days.

On the other side, it also covers a lot of harder topics as well, which might be problematic for some readers.

I loved the main character, who isn't very good at dealing with emaotions, and struggles when her best friend has a boyfriend, and she isn't the most important person for her anymore. Her mum is away with "doctors without boarders" which isn't always easy.

The book is very open and direct about sex - and I had a good giggle and the teen reaction to an adult talking to her about sex. It felt very realistic, and the "ewww, don't say that!" had me snort at times.

There's also other topics included. Falling in love for the first time, stress about exams, arguing with the BFF, being overwhelmed by emotions, family troubles, and death do all play a topic.
I will put some of the main themes in a spoler tag at the end, if you want to know what exactly is covered, to see if it is a fit.

Despite a lot of hard stuff being covered, it is overall still a quick and entertaining read. I loved the tone, and breezed through the book in no time at all. I loved the strong female characters, and the mixed cast. From young to old, from nice to grumpy, from outgoing to shy. I love the inclusiion of a character with down syndrom, and it just not being a big deal.

So even if it isn't all roses and sunshine (because life just isn't, is it?) it is a fun book, and not a depressing one. It is about finding your way in life and growing up.

Topics that might be problematic for some:

Spoiler + Best friend asks for advice, as the sex with new boyfriend isn't good
+ Side characters brother died of cancer
+ Main character grew up wothout a dad, learns he died from a bomb
+ Mum goes missing for a while, and Phoebe thinks she might be dead (she is not!)
+ Co-worker has lost her husband and gets drunk and needs help cleaning out a very messy flat
+ Other go worker dies of a stroke, including funeral later on
+ Falling in love with another girl, dealing with love overall

jadie2000's review against another edition

emotional funny inspiring lighthearted medium-paced