Not Like Other Girls by Meredith Adamo

amys_books0's review against another edition

When I read the description of this book, I thought it was just a book about a teen finding her missing best friend, but this books is so much more than that. I stayed up till 3am to finish this book and it did not disappoint it made me feel so many different emotions all at once, it had me at the edge of my seat.This book had me hooked right from the first chapter and had me guessing and when I thought I had the answer the author throws in a twist that completely had me second guessing. The pacing of this book was Amazing. The three words I would use to describe this book it would be Heart-wrenching, powerful and beautiful. There are themes in this book that are not usually brought to light in others which the author did really well writing them. I highly recommend this book to everyone especially if you are a fan of A good girls guide to murder. I cant wait for more from Meredith.

4 Stars !
*Thank you NetGalley and Bloomsbury Publishing for providing me this Arc in return for an honest review*

ellaandcoffee's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

danadoesbooks's review

Thank you Libro FM, Bloomsbury Publishing, and NetGalley for the ALC of Not Like Other Girls! All opinions in this review are my own.

This was a strong debut that is about so much more than a classmate going missing.  While it did seem to lose the original storyline a bit in the middle, all of the loose ends get tied up by the conclusion.  If you listen/read the author's note at the end, it explains how Adamo was able to make her characters so realistic and I give her so much credit for being able to write this story.

The audiobook narrator was an excellent choice! I haven't listened to a book narrated by Georgina Sadler before, but I really liked the voices she did for each character. Each character was able to sound different without sounding fake.

Overall, this was a great debut from Adamo and I can't wait to read more from her!

booksofastoria's review

Not like Other Girls was a story I honestly wasn't expecting when I read the synopsis, but one I really liked nonetheless. Reading the synopsis one would expect a thrilling mystery on where Maddie Price went, and why and finding her etc etc. But to me the story really focused on Jo and what happened to her to make her the shell of a girl she used to be.

I kept a really open mind when I started the book because I thought that whatever we learned second hand from people at the start wouldn't really be who Jo was and I was very right. People assumed and thought the worst of her based on one of the worst things to ever happen to her and didn't give it a second thought because they didn't care enough about the damage it was doing to a very real human being. They just thought it was another thing to gossip and talk about. Its sad that this is a very real thing that happens in schools every day and it was heartbreaking to unravel Jo's past and figure out everything that happened to her and then see her fully come to terms with it when she'd spent so long suppressing it instead. That along with the fact of realizing that every single adult in her life failed her, and props to Tess for actually saying it out loud. Tess was a great character and I liked that she was one of the only adults who really saw and took an interest in Jo beyond her troubled (and very undeserved) reputation. I really liked Jo as a main character, she is loud, sarcastic, and funny and smarter than she gets credit for and I enjoyed her character development. Hudson had his faults but I liked him too, nobody is 100% perfect. I didn't love Maddie, I think she was a really shitty person and just because she had bad things happen to her doesn't change that. I liked that the book didn't try and give her a redemption arc too because I would've rolled my eyes lmao.

I got a little overwhelmed with the amount of things happening sometimes and it made it hard to follow the story and keep it straight so I wish that there wasn't quite so much going on at times. It got really confusing a couple times there I had to back up and regroup lol. I also had a few things I wanted to know more about and things I still didn't understand fully but nothing that hindered my enjoyment of the story all that much. If you pick this one up I strongly suggest you check the content warnings because theres some heavy stuff in here that might not fit with everybody. But overall I enjoyed this one and highly recommend it because it is an important story that Im glad is out there for anybody who may need it. Thank you to Netgalley and the Publisher for the ARC copy, all opinions are my own.

runaps's review against another edition

challenging emotional funny hopeful mysterious reflective medium-paced

This book was devastating, infuriating and hopeful in deeply personal ways.

charlottereidsma's review

mysterious fast-paced

cdee02's review

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

brandy's review

emotional mysterious medium-paced

stanfordstocker's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

kim_j_dare's review

Such a powerful story. Four stars only because the mystery can get a bit muddled in the other storyline, but the explorations of sexual consent and casual misogyny are really well-done. Jo-Lynn is one of my favorite protagonists ever. I can’t wait to read more from Meredith Adamo.