The Raven and the Reindeer, by T. Kingfisher

mscupoftea's review

adventurous medium-paced

bravereads's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

Honestly, the thing I'm looking for in any fairytale-inspired story is that it still feels like a fairytale. T. Kingfisher definitely hit that nail on the head. I love the inclusion of a little Sámi culture, the Finnish folklore, and obviously Mousebones. Who doesn't love a talking animal companion? I really enjoyed this, and I look forward to reading more from T. Kingfisher soon!!

marissab's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny mysterious reflective slow-paced

caribeth's review

This brought back so much Narnia nostalgia. A beautiful journey and story of self discovery. I would’ve liked more character development all around, but especially for Kay, he felt very flat and almost just a pawn in the story.

jennijen's review

adventurous funny inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

lisalark's review

Another wonderful book from Kingfisher. I have to read her children's books too now. This is a funny little retelling of Hans Christian Andersen's Snow Queen and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Best for teens or adults I would think because while nothing is that over the top, it deals with grown up themes. I was especially entertained by how useless Kay was and not useless Gerta was, for all she didn't know it. And the romance was fresh and unexpected but worked. Also thoroughly enjoy how Kingfisher writes talking animals.

jwhitlow91's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

sabsey's review

This was a really beautiful and quiet book. It's a retelling of the snow queen, but it was so unique and full of so much heart. This is definitely a new favourite.

1librarianspath's review

Quite enjoyable. The first half is almost identical to the original tale, but once it diverged I enjoyed it even more.

judithisreading's review against another edition

adventurous lighthearted mysterious medium-paced