A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab

chane_y's review

slow-paced

readingwithsab's review against another edition

the strength of schwab's trilogy is the rich world she has built, and the complex characters she has created. however, this book is the weakest out of the three (in my opinion), with the action in the plot being quite messy. it's definitely not a terrible final book to end of the series, but i wouldn't read it again. unfortunately, it wasn't as gripping as the previous books were, and the narrative felt very lacklustre.

actual rating - 3.5/5 stars.

jesssicaweil's review against another edition

4.5 stars

My favorite in this trilogy by far! I couldn't get into the characters in book 1, but I was really into them here--I think the introduction of Alucard in book 2 plus the return of Holland in book 3 really made this possible. Honestly this book reminded me of Six of Crows and Throne of Glass--it just took until book 3 (maybe a little of book 2) for the author to really focus the characters and the plot enough for me to get behind it, but once I did, I really enjoyed it.

The world and the writing, at least, were consistent throughout the trilogy, and they were my favorite parts of this series. And they're at their best in this book!

Not 5 stars only because it felt a little dragged out at times, but most final installments in fantasy trilogies/series do, so can't really fault it too much!

nikikuki's review against another edition

I loved this so much, i'm gonna miss the characters

taypatterson's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful mysterious sad tense medium-paced

alicereadsromantasy's review against another edition

5/5 This series have become one of my favs ! The character arcs are very well done and make total sense. It is a perfect conclusion for this first cycle and I can’t wait to star threads of power.

5/5

klara1meyer's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

bibi_reads_writes's review against another edition

“Because caring was a thing with claws. It sank them in, and didn’t let go. Caring hurt more than a knife to the leg, more than a few broken ribs, more than anything that bled or broke and healed again. Caring didn’t break you clean. It was a bone that didn’t set, a cut that wouldn’t close.”

If you read my reviews for the first two installments of the trilogy, then you know I was disappointed by the first one, and even more disappointed by the second one.

But this one, this one I loved! I thought it was vastly superior to the other two, and it made me want to go on and read the Threads of Power trilogy (which I hadn’t planned on reading, after the first two books).

There were some disappointments, however, and I still think that this series didn’t live up to its potential. The world-building was spectacular, some parts were so well written I was almost jealous, and most of the characters had huge potential.

It could have been my favourite fantasy series.

Could have.

Plot:
Red London is under attack. The palace is on lock down, the whole city is asleep, and the three Antari must join forces and embark on an impossible quest to keep the Black London shadow king from claiming this vibrant world as his own. Phew! There is finally that sense of urgency that was lacking in the first two books. There’s also LOTS of magic and creative magical artefacts, more romance (two couples to ship, yay!) and a wee bit of spice, a great redemption arc, the villain’s POV, etc. However, just like book two, 75% of the book builds up for the final battle, and another 15% is an epilogue, so the tiny part in between felt rushed and anticlimactic.

Characters:
Lila became a tolerable—maybe even loveable—character. She was still pretty badass (as the author felt like reminding us every 20 pages or so), but she actually became a (sort of) decent human being looking out for others rather than simply looking for ways to take unnecessary risks or break the rules or be different / one of a kind.

I would have liked to see more of Kell and Alucard (less brooding from Kell, more development for Alucard, less bickering from the two of them). They both could have been my favourite characters. Could have.

BUT looking deeper into Holland’s past was very, very interesting. I couldn’t help but like him. No, I LOVED him. His story was so heart wrenching I just wanted to hug him and protect him from the other characters when they were mean to him. He was so strong, so solid. And his attitude was *chef’s kiss*. Early on, I remember thinking, “I know there’s going to be a redemption arc for this guy, but there’s NO way I’ll like him”. I was so wrong.

And Rhy, RHY. The author really did mistreat him in this one, right? I thought the third book would be about him like the second one was about Lila—and it was, in a way, but I would still have read more about him and his struggle with life after death, life tethered to someone else. I loved all the parts where he walked around the city, through fog and sleeping curses, to see his people. He really has a heart of gold, and I love him for it! In a sea of morally-grey FMCs and MMCs, a character like him was refreshing. And I loved how his backstory and character development led him to embrace being king, albeit some (understandable) struggles and self-doubt.

Writing:
I felt like the writing in this one was on a whole new level. Creative, whimsical, on point, but not pretentious. Loved it, savoured it!

Several disappointing aspects:

· Some great characters were introduced, and others received sudden emphasis… only to be killed off soon after (looking at you
SpoilerOjka, Hastra, and Lenos
!)
· Alucard was a bit of a let-down in this one. I feel like he was only there for Rhy and Lila’s character development. We didn’t even get to see him process the trauma of
Spoilerhis sister’s death!

· Maxim and Emira’s characters were developed muuuch too late for me to care about them. Most of their backstory could have been somewhere in book two. It would have helped readers connect with them and understand how they treated Kell.
· I wanted to know more about Tieren and the priests!
· Who cares about Nasi’s POV? What was the point? Aaaah!
· Were Osaron’s chapters supposed to make him scary? Because he only seemed unintelligent!

lovelymisanthrope's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful mysterious sad tense medium-paced

I was excited to pick up this conclusion to the Shades of Magic trilogy.
"A Conjuring of Light" is the epic conclusion to the Shades of Magic trilogy. Kell believed he was the last remaining Antari, and because of this pressure he is all the more determined to do right by the Maresh Empire and his London. Unfortunately, he is faced with conflict about where to place his loyalty. Lila who always saw herself as a common thief is trying her best to learn how to control her newfound magical abilities.
This conclusion was everything I wanted it to be. There was action, adventure, high stakes, and light romance. My favorite part of this story was definitely reading about the group trying to track down an artifact that will surely help them in defeating their new enemy. The journey they go on felt so high stakes and I loved reading about their skirmishes.
Holland was such a complex and morally grey character to read about. My heart went out to him, and throughout the entire series after his introduction I was conflicted about whether to empathize with him and his situation. I was so pleased with his story arch.
I also really enjoyed seeing more of Rhy. I feel like he really had the opportunity to come into his own in this book, and we finally got to see more of his character.
Victoria Schwab has such talent for writing both memorable and relatable characters and writing immersive atmospheres that I never want to leave. This idea for different Londons is fascinating and so well executed.
I am sad to see this series end, but I HIGHLY recommend this!

harperlesley's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful reflective fast-paced