The Tiger at Midnight, by Swati Teerdhala

iliketoreadbooks's review against another edition

adventurous challenging mysterious fast-paced

paulita's review

adventurous medium-paced

montagnetalarie's review against another edition

I love esha and kunal so much

hulshe14's review against another edition

3.5-4 stars

autumnalia's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

Setting, characters (woman warrior MC!), premise, and world-building are great. Some issues with writing style and pacing for me. But still good enough to continue the series eventually. I recommend the audiobook for the wonderful (and non-white 😁) narration.

izzylovestoreadalot's review against another edition

This books was definitely amazing. I was enthralled by the story and honestly thought that the two main characters had so much chemistry. However, I didn’t like the plot twist about finding out that whatever his name was was royalty. It was fine, but the author made the main characters childhood friends and then they just went on with it, without even acknowledging their old friendship. It was weird. 4.5 stars

thereadingsheep's review against another edition

I try not to look too closely at other people's reviews before writing my own just in case I get swayed by well-written reviews, but I did a quick scroll through after I finished this book, and... I do have to agree with what I saw a lot: this book really was average.

I'm kind of disappointed because I was really looking forward to a good enemies-to-lovers romance, but this didn't do it for me. There were some nice tense moments in the book, but when it came to them actually in love, I found I just couldn't ship them. There was something to their relationship that was missing, and I probably would have been less disappointed if this would have been an enemies-to-friends book.

Another big thing in this book, I think, is challenging what you have been told and thinking for yourself. These two countries are at war, and while it's often hard to understand the different view points and find what is right, war makes that even harder. Kunal, one of the main characters, has had one perspective hammered into him from young. It was interesting to see him struggle with what he had been taught by his uncle, all the while still feeling indebted to him. Unfortunately, at the end of the book Kunal's character arc felt rushed, and that bothered me.

In fact, the entire end of the book was not wrapped up as nicely as I wanted. (I know it's only the first book in the series, but the "ending" still felt messy.)

foreveryoungadult's review against another edition

Graded By: Stephanie
Cover Story: Like The Sands Of Time
BFF Charm: Meh x2
Swoonworthy Scale: 3
Talky Talk: Catch Me My Interest If You Can
Bonus Factor: Glowing Forests
Relationship Status: Saved By The Bell

Read the full book report here.

caitsbooks's review against another edition

All quotes are taken from the ARC and are subject to change
Quick Stats:
Overall:
4.5/5 Stars
Characters: 5/5
Setting: 5/5
Writing: 4/5
Plot and Themes: 4/5
Awesomeness Factor: 4/5
Review in a Nutshell: The Tiger At Midnight is a captivating novel, focusing mostly on the physical and mental journey of two fascinating characters.

“Never greet a tiger at midnight, for they are the manifestations of your past misdeeds.”

// Content Warning: Violence, Death, Assault, Child Abuse, War Themes, Murder //

- Premise -

The Tiger at Midnight is told in two alternating points of view. Kunal is a soldier of Jansa and nephew of a cruel general. His main priority is staying in line and following his uncle’s orders. Esha is an assassin known only as The Viper, desperate to avenge her parents and kill the Pretender King of Jansa. When Kunal is thrown into a competition to hunt down the legendary Viper, secrets are revealed and he is torn between the life he knows, and the girl he knows he can’t trust.

- Writing & Setting-

This is a debut novel, and while for the most part the writing is fantastic, it does occasionally feel like a debut. The writing style is a mix of straight forward and beautifully descriptive. Speaking of descriptive- oh my god this setting. It’s gorgeous and amazing and so well developed. I loved the two warring kingdoms, Jansa and Dharka. They were vivid and clear, their politics complex yet comprehensible, and their cultures beautifully portrayed.

- Plot -

This book is very character driven. This is definitely not a bad thing-- in fact, it’s part of why I loved it so much-- but I wouldn’t go into it expecting tons of action and adventure. Because of that, the first few chapters can feel a little slow as we get to know the protagonists. That said, once you get past that, it is so easy to be sucked into this world and not even notice the pages flying by.

- Characters -

Onto my favorite part of this book, the characters. I really, really love them. Kunal is so precious and I just want to protect him. He is the epitome of the “looks like they could kill you but is actually a cinnamon roll” type. Meanwhile Esha can and will kill you, and she wants you to know that. The two of them have such incredible character arcs. I wish I could go into detail but it’s best to just read it and see it for yourself. I can’t wait to see what they do in the rest of the series!

"A truce. No killing you in your sleep, soldier. You let me live and I did the same. Now catch me if you can."

- Conclusion -
Pros- Great characters, amazing setting, #ownvoices
Cons- Not action-heavy (but that can also be a positive!), slow at first
Overall- 4.5/5 stars.
The Tiger at Midnight is a beautiful debut novel rich in culture and characters, with a unique setting that sets it apart from most YA fantasy on the market.

Follow Me Here: Blog ||Tumblr || Bookstagram || Twitter|| Reviews

agarje1's review against another edition

Update Upon Finishing (5/29/20)

So I came back to this now that I'm in the mood for angst and this was definitely super entertaining. Some of the plot twists were predictable, but by the end of this I think I'm now invested in these characters and their stories. The audiobook helped me get through the first half again and it was spectacularly narrated by Sneha Mathan. I'm looking forward to jumping into [b:The Archer at Dawn|40304179|The Archer at Dawn (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #2)|Swati Teerdhala|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1570507730l/40304179._SX50_.jpg|62587169].

Original review
I made it around halfway through this book, but I'm honestly not really compelled to keep going. There was nothing wrong with it per se, but I'm just not in the mood for the angsty YA fantasy this is turning out to be. That's not a fault of this novel because I knew that going in, but this just isn't what I want to be reading at the moment.