The Girl of Ink and Stars, by Kiran Millwood Hargrave

peterpann's review

adventurous emotional hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

pheebsvicky27's review

“Each of us carries the map of our lives on our skin ...”

Well this book was cooler than I thought it would be. I honestly expected it to be some nice, light, middle grade fantasy-ish book, but man, people died!! It's probably still more suited for slightly younger readers but can make a quick little read for any age.

Everything about The Girl of Ink and Stars is beautiful: the gorgeous cover and page art and awesome maps really bring it to life. Its prevailing themes of friendship and mythical discoveries are well portrayed within the fascinating adventure and it is a truly superb first novel from Hargrave.

I would have given this 5 stars but the ending/climax felt really kind of rushed and little explantation was given to explain a lot of anything. Along with this, some of the characters were really annoying when it came to their complete dismissal of the myths and stories of the island, kinda understandably but still annoying. There is also one irritating ex-best friend that basically has no purpose except to act as the muscle of the book. He was also a pain in the butt.

But my main problem with this book was context. There was none! Some dude comes to this island, takes over, makes everyone's life awful. But why did he come? *insert repeated answer* Okay, but why?
And he's never seen the rest of the island besides this one tiny village? Alrighty then, that checks out.
Wait, why can't anybody go into the sea? Because they might swim thousands of miles and escape? Ah. Of course.
Etcetera.

However, overall, if you want a fairly simple read with not much actual thinking involved, then go ahead. Maybe I'm just being harsh - if the thought of vaguely explained situations doesn't bother you, you'll love this book -- everyone else will think it pleasant but nothing exceptionally special.
But, as a book clearly aimed at a younger audience, it does fantastically well at its job.

kathis_wonderland's review

[b:The Girl of Ink and Stars|27973757|The Girl of Ink and Stars|Kiran Millwood Hargrave|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1448526166s/27973757.jpg|47978235] by [a:Kiran Millwood Hargrave|5868487|Kiran Millwood Hargrave|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1453147813p2/5868487.jpg] is a magical book about friendship, adventures, myths and courage. When Lupe disappears into the Forgotten Territories, thirteen-year-old Isabella volunteers to help finding her. Her knowledge of the stars and maps is great help to find her friend. As she is the cartographer's daughter she has the opportunity to finally draw a map of the island she lives on. But the journey is not easy and myths about the island become true.

First of all, let me tell you how beautiful this book looks. I have never seen such a magnificent book. Not only the cover is amazing, but the pages itself look awesome! The book is worth buying only because of its looks. I would give 5 stars only for how it looks! I love all the small details on the cover and on the pages. And what do people say about maps in books? All good books have a map in them. And this is true with this book.

The story itself was magical. The author put lots of myths into the story, which made it so magical and mystical. The stories which are told in the book, are very interesting. They reminded me of stories how an island was made. I love how our heroine believes in all the traditional myths and saves the island by doing so. Isa is a really lovely young girl. She is nearly too mature for her age and has a knowledge lots of adults in the books don't have. Her friend Lupe is also a kind girl. She has a "better" life than Isa, because her father is the Governor. But she loves to be friends with Isa and likes the simple ways of life. She enjoys the stories Isa tells her and fights for what she thinks is right. Pablo is a friend of Isa, he is fifteen years old and helps searching for Lupe. He is a really nice guy and I'm glad Isa has him as a friend.

The book is titled as a children's book and I can totally see why. But it is enjoyable also for adults. It catapults you into another world, which still feels very real. Something I did not really like, is that all those young people seem too mature for their age. But all in all, the book was really good. I really recommend it.

rachel1990's review

adventurous dark fast-paced

This book needed to be double the length in order to do the characters and story justice. There is minimal world-building and not enough attention paid to the readers experience.

katiesreadingnook's review

adventurous dark hopeful inspiring mysterious tense fast-paced

ashthebadelf's review

Slow start, but once we delved into the action it had a nice pace, if not slightly too quick at times.

elevetha's review

adventurous inspiring mysterious medium-paced

There's folklore and myth, maps and murders, adventure and despotic governors, friendship and family. But for all these things, I think that they are written in a more soft, quiet understated sort-of way, and while that works for some people and I could even see myself as a younger reader enjoying this, I struggled to connect with the characters or to engage with the story due to the way it's written.

blackcatlouise's review

I enjoyed the way this book played with myth and notions of reality ; our reality is very different to the reality of this novel and it took some time for me to figure that out!
Interesting read but I would have liked more development of plot, character and relationships. It felt by the time I was in to it it had finished. I think more middle grade than YA really...

kirstyjane98's review

a story of friendship, myths, magic and maps; everything from the design of the pages to the writing was stunning, really really enjoyed this.

karolinasulcova's review