Being Nikki, by Meg Cabot

foreveryoungadult's review against another edition

Graded By: Meghan
BFF Charm: Yay
Swoonworthy Scale: 8
Talky Talk: Right On
Bonus Factors: Weird Science
Relationship Status: Dishy Girlfriend

Read the full book report here.

jennoux's review against another edition

This twist at the end shook me! I didn't expect it at all! I look forward to the finale now even though I haven't enjoyed this book as much as the first in the series.

theartolater's review against another edition

I think it's safe to say that this is my least favorite Cabot series to this point. It's just really not doing it for me - I'll finish it up, but...

onetruenorth's review against another edition

i’ll start by saying, objectively, this book isn’t fantastic. the main character is supposedly smart, yet her thought process functions a whole lot like the stereotypically shallow model’s body she currently occupies. (she’s jealous because her former best friend and crush, christopher, is in love with em. even though she’s em. she’s jealous of herself and calls her ‘a dead girl.’ i know.) some of her thoughts are rather redundant and repetitive. that being said, there really is just something about the writing that is addictive, and i binged it. maybe it’s because it’s simple, and i knew that nothing truly horrible was going to happen. either way, it was sort of like a guilty pleasure, because i loved it.

the first book in the series focused on em’s transformation - her brain into body transplant. this book explored what happens afterwards - what living as a model, when she’s really just a high school student, is really like, and what this means when it comes to connecting with her family and convincing christopher to fall in love with her in her new body. the plot was also more complex here, adding in other character’s motives and a mystery aspect, when nikki’s brother shows up at her doorstep with the news that her mother has been missing for months, and begging for her help to find her. there was a satisfying plot twist with adequate foreshadowing, although i’ll admit that the ending felt a little rushed, and that the character’s emotions could’ve used a little more depth to them.

i did have a good time reading this novel, though. it reminded me of being a preteen again, when nothing truly important mattered.

stormoverlondon's review against another edition

sequel to airhead

kristid's review against another edition

Being Nikki starts right where we left off in Airhead. Let’s me just start out saying that this novel was nothing like I expected it to be. I was expecting more of the Airhead plot... with Nikki balancing her new life, going to high school, being a model and trying to get Christopher to figure out that she’s really his best friend Emerson Watts!

Needless to say, that is not what happened. It was better! The plot takes on a whole new spin! Being Nikki is definitely a step up from Airhead. We are introduced to Nikki’s brother Steven in this novel, and it was exciting to discover who Nikki really was and where she came from.

I was happy to see that all my favorite characters from the first book were present in this sequel as well as the introduction to some new characters, which I’m sure you will love! Especially Christopher’s cousin! HA!

This book surprised me so much! It was marvelous! I love Meg’s style, she is such a fun author to read, it never takes me long to finish one of her novels.

I can’t wait to read the rest of this series and find out what happens next!!! I’m sure Runway, will be just as entertaining!

kailiasage's review against another edition

Since Airhead wasn’t exactly what I had expected, and a bit of a disappointment, I wasn’t sure how much I was going to like Being Nikki, the sequel to Airhead. But it’s safe enough to say that I was very pleased with this book! Once again Meg weaves a story out of nothing and everything. A very unlikely concept of brains being switched put aside, everything else in the book was very good.

Em is back and better than ever. More witty and independent than I remember her in Airhead. I think Meg Cabot’s writing style shines in this piece of work. She can really bring out the life of a supermodel and put her into a more common life.
This book also goes more in depth with the life of a supermodel and all the things they have to go through. I’m sure some things are different but a lot of things seem just how I’d imagine it.

Of course, Meg’s big style of writing is writing a nicely paced novel and then throwing in a big twist, or surprise, making the book even harder to put down.
One big surprise is when Em finds out that Nikki actually has a family. A family who isn’t as rich or as glamorous as her. We find this out when Nikki’s brother Steven comes to Nikki (Em) telling her that her mother is missing.
Em, being, Em feels upset and guilty for not knowing before but it’s not her fault. How was she supposed to know that Nikki Howard had a family? She didn’t even like Nikki Howard that much.

I was glad to know that Lulu was back and Gabriel (though not as much) and Christopher of course. I did feel bad for Em at a lot of times, especially when she thought that Christopher might be dating some other girl.

I began to hate Frieda a lot in this book, beginning when she asked Em to come persuade her mother to let her go to cheerleading camp. Then Em has to learn that she wasn’t invited to her grandmother’s home. I felt so bad for her and worse about how she acted. She was so Em, not wanting to show exactly how upset she was but breaking down outside. I loved how Christopher put aside his prejudice (?) on Stark and helped her out.

I don’t want to say anymore, or I might just spoil all of the book for everyone. But there were more surprises in store and I learned that either Brandon Stark is a jerk or he’s a jerk. I loved Lulu’s character even more than ever and I felt so bad for Christopher.

Nikki Howard, the real one (long story; read the book to find out more) turned out to be just how I has imagined her.
This book left me in such suspense that I can’t wait for the third book, Runway, to come out!

pixieauthoress's review against another edition

I enjoyed this almost as much as 'Airhead' and definitely think that Meg Cabot's writing is getting better, and more original, with time. Of course, there were a few things that I didn't love about this book - such as Em constantly kissing guys as well as talking about it and thinking about it, which I didn't really think added to the story - but for the majority of the book I was gripped and didn't want to put it down! I really liked the advancements in the Stark plot, which was more interesting to me than the underwear-modelling parts!, and can't wait to read the last book in the trilogy to find out exactly what Nikki knew that made Stark want to get rid of her. I was a bit disappointed with the ending of this book as I hoped that Em could have conveyed some sort of clue to Christopher to let him know why she was going with Brandon, but I guess it made better reading (in Cabot's eyes) to have them finally get together in #3! So, overall, I really enjoyed this book. It was fluffy and unrealistic, but had a lot of originality and enough conspiracy theories in it to make me consider it more than mere chick-lit! Definitely looking forward for 2010 to read the finale! 7/10

nin275's review against another edition

Liked this one better than the first one, seems like things are finally moving at a faster pace.

Being Nikki Howard isn't a piece of cake, specially when formerly known as super nerd Em has nothing to do but comply her duties. While others are seeing and envying her lifestyle, Em's life is coming down to crumbs due to excessive drama at all paths of her life.

lpcoolgirl's review against another edition

Great book, and that ending? So good, and I kinda hated him at that point, though it was how he was raised, through neglect and such. But still kinda hated him for blackmailing Em!