Project Hail Mary, by Andy Weir

jculverhouse's review against another edition

A joy for a select few

This book is not for just anyone. It is actually not for most people. Combine Robinson Crusoe and Armageddon and MacGyver and a little Monsters Inc plus a metric ton of science though, and apparently you’ve got a book I just can’t put down. I read the whole book in under 36 hours and absolutely loved it.

relamounier's review against another edition

adventurous funny reflective medium-paced

carrieknits's review against another edition

Not sure how to feel about this. I tore through it in 2 days. I really enjoyed it. But the ending was.... not super satisfying. Elaborating will spoil, so I won’t.

If you can, read this via audiobook. There’s LOTS of science-y jargon and big words and it gets very technical. Listening to this was easier than reading it, for me at least.

Much like the Martian, it can be borderline too much techy stuff, but if you liked the Martian, you’ll probably like this one too.

thereaderofbooks's review against another edition

Great book. I really enjoyed the story and the progression of the main characters.

luli_za's review against another edition

It was so good, I gave it 5 stars because of the ending and the plot twist was so good. It was slow moving at some points but the ending was amazing

katekor's review against another edition

I didn't like it as much as The Martian but it was still fun and engaging.

ramram's review against another edition

Happy to be a “leaky blob” today.

katieladyreads's review against another edition

This was truly an astronomically amazing adventure. I was laughing, I was crying, I was on the edge of my seat power reading to find out if our country bumpkin Dr. Grace could save planet Earth. I think it says a lot when I don’t hate a character incapable of cursing. He had many an opportunity to drop some f bombs but his wholesome, precious little self would say ‘heck it all’ WHEN HIS LITERAL SPACE SHIP MIGHT CRASH. I could gush about this book for hours, it will be a 2021 Top Ten for me, even though I did not understand 80% of it. Highly recommend to anyone and everyone, even if you have zero comprehension of astrophysics

neishareads's review

adventurous challenging funny medium-paced

arjee's review against another edition

It pains me that I didn't like this book. I loved The Martian and the premise of Hail Mary was SO GOOD! But that premise got buried underneath the slowest, densest writing I've ever read. I couldn't care about the main character for the life of me. He doesn't have much of a personality in the beginning. I chalked that up to the amnesia and endured, but besides his child-friendly swear words, his personality never really appeared. The constant math and hard-sciencing, something I loved about The Martian, was incredibly boring this time around, possibly because of how boring this character is. I adored Rocky, but I think that's because the language barrier makes his speech childish and therefore cute.