Reviews tagging Cancer

Project Hail Mary, by Andy Weir

chrisljm's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny informative mysterious sad tense medium-paced

I used to be so good at science when I was younger, but now the smallest hint of science (and math) will make my brain shut down. So even though there was a lot of that going on, the book was so good. I loved Rocky so much (as well as the interactions between Ryland and Rocky). I just think it’s sick that if this were to ever be made into a movie I would not be able to watch it because Rocky would terrify me.

Anyways, this book also made me cry. It was heartwarming yet slightly sad, and I just really loved the friendship between Ryland and Rocky.

samara's review against another edition

skudiklier's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective tense fast-paced

This book made me feel things I haven't felt in years—not since I first read An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green. I was so excited reading it, and despite how long it is I couldn't put it down, and finished it the day after starting it. I would really, really recommend this to anyone who likes sci-fi, and especially anyone who enjoyed The Martian. Major spoiler:
SpoilerI just really like non-hostile first contact stories I think. When Grace first waved at the alien and then it waved back, I actually teared up a little.  (Just saying "the alien" to have as few spoilers as possible.)

Some of the big eureka moments made me want to screenshot them and send them to friends—like, as if they were real and we could all get excited about this huge discovery together. It's definitely a good book for a book club or to read with friends.

Compared to The Martian, this felt like it had more suspense/higher stakes, because The Martian basically had a sad ending or a happy ending (and I always assumed it would be happy). Project Hail Mary has a lot more room for complexity in terms of what a "happy" ending looks like, so I definitely felt unsure about how certain parts would end.

I'm also glad I didn't really read the description of the book before reading it; all I knew was it was by Andy Weir (and that Hank Green liked it). It allowed me to truly learn everything along with Grace, and to be surprised by even basic functions of the plot in a really rare and enjoyable way.

Thank you to NetGalley and Ballantine Books for providing me with an eARC in exchange for an honest review!