Reviews tagging Drug use

Project Hail Mary, by Andy Weir

bharxhav's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional funny hopeful inspiring mysterious tense medium-paced

dagoth_ur's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny medium-paced

Ok, I'm gonna split this review into two parts first part is what I think immediately after reading the book, the second part will be a little more thought through, im not really well versed in sci-fi (hoping to change that soon) so I don't have much to compare it to. This review is also just gonna be a bunch of bullet points because im bad at writing.
FIRST PART
  • I enjoyed this book!
  •  The science stuff was easy to understand (for the most part)
  • I loved rocky so much.
  •  I didn't really like the main dude that much up until
    Spoiler he decided to send the beetles and save Rocky

• sometimes the story felt plot convenient.
SECOND PART
Not much different from my first thoughts, I read some other reviews and watch some reviews I noticed a few more things,
  • pretty similar to the martin
  • I liked this more than the martin (right now the Martin is at a five on my page, im prolly gonna change that to 3.75)
  • Ryland grace is kinda a gray sue, I think that was what I didn't really like about him at first I thought it was just because I thought he was annoying but some other reviews made me realize the word of it.
  • I REALLY wanted to see more Stratt, I liked her sometimes she felt like a stereotypical scientist character but I tend to like those types of characters.
  • I love rocky, really words cannot put how much I loved him
  • I wish Ryland's sadness about his cremates death was more dwelt upon, but I guess he didn't actually spend that much time with them but id be brawling like a baby.
  • Im really glad Rsyland and Stratt weren't a thing thank dear God that would have been weird
  • The ending felt rushed.
  • I liked the pace.

skai's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny mysterious tense medium-paced

This is a brilliant book, in my humble opinion. Not only are the characters well crafted, they are also ones you start to care about. This is definitely a plot driven book, but the characters are what stands out. Some of the scenes had me close to tears because I cared about the characters deeply enough. Just... really well done.

mamaquiereleer's review against another edition

adventurous funny hopeful slow-paced

inkfingers's review against another edition

adventurous funny hopeful informative inspiring medium-paced

Andy Weir really said we are at our most human when we turn back to save each other.
Also that the world can be saved through the power of jazz hands.

The only unbelievable thing is that
SpoilerIt seems a little far fetched that every world government would collaborate like that even in the face of imminent apocalypse but this book is at it heart about  Star Trek levels of optimism.

It’s worth a little suspension of disbelief for the rest of the very enjoyable plot.

saltyy_sarah's review against another edition

adventurous funny mysterious tense medium-paced

morgiah's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

limabean21's review against another edition

adventurous emotional informative inspiring tense medium-paced

leona's review against another edition

adventurous funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted mysterious reflective medium-paced

For some reason I don't really know what to say about this book. I've realised that a lot of people get into reading slumps when they read 'meh' books for too long without any 'wow' books, but for me I think I'm the opposite. This doesn't really have anything to do with my opinions on this book, I just think that maybe I could have gone all the way and given this 5 stars, and maybe rated The Midnight Library higher if I still wasn't trying to recover from Six of Crows - now that book nearly put me in a slump, despite my love for it.

Anyway, after that little tangent: on to the review! (Also there will probably be a few minor spoilers so... yep.)
Project Hail Mary is definitely a great book, and also a bit out of my comfort zone. I haven't read a great deal of sci-fi other than some YA series and dystopia (if you consider that sci-fi). I also usually prefer the robot and AI side of sci-fi than the alien and space travel side (maybe robots seem more believable to me). This is also one of the most 'science-y' sci-fi books I've read. And I think this is where Weir succeeds so well with this book; he makes sci-fi extremely approachable, even if you know very little science. There were parts where the plot was slow, there were parts where I got a bit bored. But Weir's prose is so digestable, quite chatty / informal in a way, and pretty modern. This makes the more scientific parts land much more successfully, and I would be pretty happy recommending this to most people.

I haven't read the Martian, so I can't offer any thoughts on how this compares, but from what I've heard, Grace swears considerably less (considering he's a teacher this is probably fitting) and apparently he is very similar to the protagonist of the Martian. I think Grace was a pretty likeable character
Spoiler and Rocky was also very likeable
and I enjoyed seeing his mind work and his memories leading up to the mission. I definitely enjoyed the characters but again, I think I would have liked them even more if not for the excellence of Six of Crows. (I'm sorry, I know, you've had enough of the hype, especially on random book reviews).

My few criticisms were firstly, I kind of wanted their to be a bit more time spent between
Spoiler Grace and Rocky learning each others language
and I would also have liked some more insight into Grace's Earth relationships. I didn't really like the ending particularly, but I appreciate Weir for doing something that I didn't expect and not doing the obvious.

I also really enjoyed
Spoiler the realisation that Grace had actually been basically drugged and forced onto the ship. This was completely unexpected to me. I understand Stratt's reasoning to sacrifice three lives for billions, but firstly I thought Grace would choose to go himself, and I also thought that him and Stratt would end up in some sort of relationship or something. I don't know. This is where Grace really grows as a character, he starts his journey a coward, and ends by sacrificing his life for the only thing he actually cares about: his best friend Rocky.

Overall, I think this book was a pretty brilliant, and I definitely recommend it. It achieved it's intention very well in my opinion and my final rating is 4.5 stars.

samara's review against another edition