Reviews tagging Vomit

Project Hail Mary, by Andy Weir

skai's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny mysterious tense medium-paced

This is a brilliant book, in my humble opinion. Not only are the characters well crafted, they are also ones you start to care about. This is definitely a plot driven book, but the characters are what stands out. Some of the scenes had me close to tears because I cared about the characters deeply enough. Just... really well done.

christinathekann's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny informative reflective tense fast-paced

saltyy_sarah's review against another edition

adventurous funny mysterious tense medium-paced

limabean21's review against another edition

adventurous emotional informative inspiring tense medium-paced

leona's review against another edition

adventurous funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted mysterious reflective medium-paced

For some reason I don't really know what to say about this book. I've realised that a lot of people get into reading slumps when they read 'meh' books for too long without any 'wow' books, but for me I think I'm the opposite. This doesn't really have anything to do with my opinions on this book, I just think that maybe I could have gone all the way and given this 5 stars, and maybe rated The Midnight Library higher if I still wasn't trying to recover from Six of Crows - now that book nearly put me in a slump, despite my love for it.

Anyway, after that little tangent: on to the review! (Also there will probably be a few minor spoilers so... yep.)
Project Hail Mary is definitely a great book, and also a bit out of my comfort zone. I haven't read a great deal of sci-fi other than some YA series and dystopia (if you consider that sci-fi). I also usually prefer the robot and AI side of sci-fi than the alien and space travel side (maybe robots seem more believable to me). This is also one of the most 'science-y' sci-fi books I've read. And I think this is where Weir succeeds so well with this book; he makes sci-fi extremely approachable, even if you know very little science. There were parts where the plot was slow, there were parts where I got a bit bored. But Weir's prose is so digestable, quite chatty / informal in a way, and pretty modern. This makes the more scientific parts land much more successfully, and I would be pretty happy recommending this to most people.

I haven't read the Martian, so I can't offer any thoughts on how this compares, but from what I've heard, Grace swears considerably less (considering he's a teacher this is probably fitting) and apparently he is very similar to the protagonist of the Martian. I think Grace was a pretty likeable character
Spoiler and Rocky was also very likeable
and I enjoyed seeing his mind work and his memories leading up to the mission. I definitely enjoyed the characters but again, I think I would have liked them even more if not for the excellence of Six of Crows. (I'm sorry, I know, you've had enough of the hype, especially on random book reviews).

My few criticisms were firstly, I kind of wanted their to be a bit more time spent between
Spoiler Grace and Rocky learning each others language
and I would also have liked some more insight into Grace's Earth relationships. I didn't really like the ending particularly, but I appreciate Weir for doing something that I didn't expect and not doing the obvious.

I also really enjoyed
Spoiler the realisation that Grace had actually been basically drugged and forced onto the ship. This was completely unexpected to me. I understand Stratt's reasoning to sacrifice three lives for billions, but firstly I thought Grace would choose to go himself, and I also thought that him and Stratt would end up in some sort of relationship or something. I don't know. This is where Grace really grows as a character, he starts his journey a coward, and ends by sacrificing his life for the only thing he actually cares about: his best friend Rocky.

Overall, I think this book was a pretty brilliant, and I definitely recommend it. It achieved it's intention very well in my opinion and my final rating is 4.5 stars.

samara's review against another edition

annapox's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted tense medium-paced

morganish's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful tense fast-paced

In case you've been living under a rock, Project Hail Mary is the latest scifi story by Andy Weir. It features his trademark action-survival plots, where the protagonist puzzles out solutions using hard-science-y, jargon-heavy deductive reasoning.

I haven't actually read his other books, but having seen The Martian film and then having read this, it's about what I expected the book version of his stories to be. Which isn't a bad thing! It's rare that I read something so inline with the expectations set by marketing, at least in terms of tone, plot tension, and delivery. The storytelling is fast-paced and tension remains high for a large part of the book. Andy Weir is like brain candy for people with especially technical brains (or people who think they have especially technical brains). There are a lot of references and viewpoints about the role of science and the nature of life that weave in here and there, but I can't confidently say there's a core overarching theme that the book is laying out. Treat this book like a good time, don't expect much more, and you'll probably be satisfied.

In terms of the plot, lots of people are comparing it to The Martian, saying that it's the same plot, essentially. I'd say the main story problem and the solution methods are the same (survive/solve logistical problems using hard-science deduction and knowledge), but the plot is very different. And while I can't say much without giving away plot points, I'd say this one has a surprisingly emotional element that I don't remember from The Martian.

I'm not personally fond of the writing style, but it's straightforward and similar to a lot of pop fiction that becomes really mainstream. A weird and kinda laughable reliance on the sanitized, "acceptable" versions of swear word replacements stood out a bit. Also, there are elements of the American MC working with an international team, but while the technical details are largely in-depth, the depictions of other characters or the intricacies of communicating across cultures doesn't get the same treatment. This probably makes it much more consumable for mainstream American audiences, but was a little disappointing as someone who geeks out over stories that lean into the differences and complexities of other cultures, both real and fantastical.

The only other thing I'd note is that there are some times and ways the MC have of speaking that are... very cis straight white guy, for lack of a better explanation. So while there aren't a lot of moments that are clear missteps, subtle things like the way he thinks about success and failure, about sacrifice and heroism, about the likelihood of cooperation versus brute force, were noticeable at least to me. It's not the most problematic thing, but something I'm always sensitive to, so thought I'd mention it in case that's a big turn off for anyone else, or just something a reader would rather be prepared for going in.

Overall, I got a lot more emotionally invested in it than I expected, even if there were some times I wished it was a little bit shorter or the technical explanations were condensed. I'd recommend this for anyone who likes mainstream, plot-heavy, fast-paced fiction and isn't overwhelmingly daunted by science jargon or long-form analysis (think about it like the scifi version of reading a Sherlock Holmes book, in a way). However if your brain absolutely shuts down at jargon, this might be something to take a pass on. Or if you like plot-heavy stuff that gets to the point quickly, you might want to read the first few pages before buying, to see if the opening grips you.

gheron's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

stormywolf's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful informative lighthearted tense medium-paced

Audiobook Read by Ray Porter
Unabridged Length: 16.2 Hours
Listened at 2x Speed

Audible sure does know how to do a great production. Even though there was only one narrator, the chord-based alien was still allotted, not only music tones for untranslated speech (and I assume completely original ones at that), but also auto-tune-sounding English speech. At least some form of post-production editing was done to Rocky's voice, which made the recording that much more unique. I always say how much adding music makes audiobooks that much more special, and considering a character completely revolves around it, you can bet it really made a difference. Thanks!

Mr. Porter was a delight unto himself. So many accents and inflections, I was surprised how many characters he made sound completely distinct from one another. Enough, so, that I would easily recognize them after chapters of absence. Some of the accents/voices did speed up a bit, making my 2x playback speed more difficult to maintain at times, but it was mostly fine to follow along with. And I absolutely loved how much character he gave Ryland, in even just a well-placed sigh now and then, he was that much more real—definitely a stand-out in first-person narration.

There was one part early on where I assume some math got recalculated and corrected in the ebook, because it was WAY off the audio. But other than that, the two were a lot closer than many of the audiobooks I've experienced recently. The Chinese and Russian writing that appears in the book was presented as just that—"something written in ______"—and the music notes in the text were actual tones in the audiobook, which, as I mentioned before, was a pleasant and welcome surprise.

Overall, a great performance and production on all counts. I think the only way to improve it would be to make it a full-blown audio-play with a larger cast and sound effects, but as audiobooks go there's not much I could ask for. Definitely a great experience for audiobook regulars or newbies alike, and I'd especially recommend it to anyone who might not be comfortable with the technobabble and science terminology that gets passed around at various points. Heck, just getting to hear Rocky is enough reason in itself to give the audio a try, so what are you waiting for?