Magia kąsa, by Ilona Andrews, Anna Czapla

melele's review against another edition

adventurous dark funny tense fast-paced

greyhoodie's review against another edition

dark medium-paced

This was a very middle of the road book. I had hoped to really enjoy this, as I love the Urban fantasy series the Dresden files, and I liked the concept of the magic flares. However, for whatever reason the smartass detective thing didn't land as well here. Possibly because of the narrator, as I listened on audio book, and her delivery wasn't *fantastic*? Other elements didn't stick the landing. I may read the next in the series, but so far a middle of the road start.

journey_sloane's review against another edition

I just couldn't get into it. Even the reassurance that the series gets better wasn't enough for me to care about what I was reading. Better things to spend my time on.

v_nerdbooks's review against another edition

3.5 stars, I will definitely read the next books in the series but there was such a lot of info in this one it sort of took away the main part of the story.

rcpope's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny lighthearted mysterious tense fast-paced

see_sadie_read's review against another edition

Fairly standard Urban Fantasy. Interesting world, though a little weak on the ins and outs of it. Fun heroine and enough variety in side characters to keep it interesting. Basically enjoyable, even if not rave-worthy.

crownoflaurel's review against another edition

adventurous dark funny medium-paced

richtate's review against another edition

I read this book because a friend of mine had highly recommended (see constantly nagged me to pick it up) that I pick it up and give it a try. I’m generally a huge fan of urban and high fantasy so after spending an hour toiling over what should be my next selection, I decided to give it a go, even though I had been somewhat resistant to the idea for quite some time.

Really should have stuck to my gut feeling on this one.

The novel itself is relatively shortly, very similar to early works of Butcher, Kearne and Harris and is certainly a quick read. I should say that personally the size of a novel never sways me one way or another. A good story is a good story, right? In this case it fell way short of being in that arena.

Personally I found the book to be rather unimaginative in the writing itself and that isn’t to say for a moment that Andrews hasn’t created a unique world in a post-apocalyptic, magic infested world where supernatural beings are very prevalent. It has all that in spades. The text itself seemed to drone on as the main character, Kate moves through a somewhat complex murder mystery.
Oddly, I also feel the need to defend this as obviously this was a first time publication and number one in a series so I’m sure the author wished to keep to a low word count in an attempt to make this viable to publishing houses, and I don’t begrudge that thought process at all.

The characters themselves are sort of interesting. Kate is dealing with the leftover drama of a dead family and losing her only remaining link to her childhood. There is also one other character, Curran, who I took an instant liking to but other than those two the rest of the cast is really just wallpaper, bland and never reaching any sense of growth or a compelling attachment in this reader. Again, there is the obvious trap here of low word count meets a slew of characters. Perhaps it would have been better to keep the story a bit more focused.

There are so many things Andrews could have done well with her backstory and characters, but she simply didn’t. I’m sure being that this a series all of these things evolve with the major storyline itself, but after reading the first installment I find myself wondering if it’s even worth my time to pick up another volume.

Overall I walked away from this with a meh sort of feeling. It was an OK book with and alright story. Maybe I’m a little spoiled at this point but I feel that there are plenty of authors that fill this space and do it much better than Andrews did in this specific piece.

Maybe I’ll give the second volume a shot, but I don’t see that happening soon. Maybe I just don’t get it, and maybe I don’t identify with it as well as others who have rated this book so highly, but for me it really isn’t worth the time to pursue the series after what I’ve just read.

marshcooke1's review against another edition

About mid way through it picks up well! Lots of good action.

rouver's review against another edition

A solid supernatural book w/ a strong female protagonist that doesn't get all hot & heavy w/ the romance. Just the kind of book I enjoy.

Ilona & Gordon drop you right into the middle of Kate's story & slowly parse out details as they go along. Normally, that's ok, but Kate has suffered the sudden loss of her godfather/guardian, and since we don't know anything about him, I didn't really care. While we learn more about him & their relationship, it doesn't appear that it was an especially deep one, so I never got emotionally invested in the loss...and since it's the Big Event that triggers the entire book, I feel like maybe I should have. It didn't break the book, but it left a hollow space that was a missed opportunity.

Katie is a merc, who, as previously mentioned, just lost the last member of her 'family.' She lives in an alternative earth where tech was TECH'ED SO HARD that magic came back. It comes in waves. When magic is present, tech (mostly) doesn't work. ...meaning that....skyscrapers crumble? (this didn't make much sense, honestly. Magic 'eats' big buildings or something?) and then when magic wanes, "tech" (cars, guns, electricity) works again. I'm just not going to think about it too much.....

Her guardian worked for the local equivalent of Magic Police Department (that's not *quite* accurate, but it's close enough.), so after his death, she agrees to work for them and assist in helping solve his murder. She was wary of working for them on a permanent basis because of her BIG SECRET that requires her to keep a low profile (we don't really find out what that is, in this first book). As part of her investigation, she has to work with the local vampires and were-animals....both of whom have had members go missing and are blaming the other for her guardian's death.

Spoiler of course it was neither of them, but some weird undead creature that will have sex with anything & makes all these gross animal/human hybrids w/ low intelligence. To create a truly sentient offspring it must mate w/ someone w/ a lot of magic mojo...which of course would be Kate.

It was a solid first book & I'm looking forward to reading the next.

The one thing that I hated was the 'bonus' short story from the POV of the werecreature's leader. It was written by Gordon & I have to say...it is an EXCELLENT thing that he has a writing partner. I just hated how overly misogynistic & arrogant it was. If the entire book was written like this, I don't think I would have finished it.