The Blood of Olympus, by Rick Riordan

carmenteriele's review

adventurous emotional tense fast-paced

smol_fangirl_bean's review against another edition

Original review at age 14 in 2014 haha:
LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! uncle rick, how could you kill LEO VALDEZ!?!?!?!?!?!?!???!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!? YOU TROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (though technically he isnt dead because that potion that annabeth and jason got from a dude. Also, he got to calypso and she's certainly not dead so obviously he isnt either.) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Review after 2nd or 3rd reread in 2021: The feels, man. So many feels. I reread MoA, HoH and BoO so I could reread The Trials of Apollo: The Hidden Oracle, so I can finally finish ToA: The Dark Prophecy after 3 years.... I don't I needed a refresher on all the characters and would not be able to just finish TDP because I don't remember it all. And I totally forgot how much the HoO books gave me the feels. Rick just does an amazing job with they characters and this world. I love every book so much.

bookwormbree's review against another edition

What an end to this series. This was a really good series, but for some reason I liked it less reading a second time. I don’t know the books sort of all blend together, and so I think I just can never really remember what I read in this series. But I love the characters. I just don’t have a nostalgic feeling for this series. The first Percy Jackson series I read when I was younger so I have a special attachment to that series, but I guess as I’m getting older the series just loses a lot of the things I thought were amazing.

lia_loves_disney's review against another edition

4.75 The only reason its 4.75 and not 5 is PErCY I wanted some Percy pov's especially after Nico told him about having a crush on him, I want to know what went through his head. You can clearly tell Percy was confused when Nico told him, so It would have been nice to see what he was thinking.

I thought that someone was going to die in this book, but they didn't. ( i don't mean Leo)

I am sobbing right now wth
I...
I am broken
THEY ARE ALL OKAY OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel so sad but in a happy way.
My favorite group of people ever survived and they are all okay and BREATHING and I am beyond happy, holy schist.

I didn't know Leo was going to die, I knew he would be fine so I held in tears.

random but how did Jason know about the schist joke? He wasn't there when it was said for the first time...

NICO TOLD PERCY DBJHDBJNKJD JHBJSBHIDHND

I have so many feelings.
I love you Rick Riordan.
Thank you for breaking my heart and putting back together again.

I will miss you:

Percy Jackson
Annabeth Chase
Hazel Levesque
Frank Zhang
Jason Grace
Piper McLean
Leo Valdez

and I will see Nico and Will in TOA, and hopefully I will see the seven again.

Seven half-bloods so answer the call
To storm or fire the world must fall
An keep with a final breath
And foes bear arms to the Doors of Death

adrian_scarman's review

adventurous emotional funny sad tense medium-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

vict0saurus's review against another edition

I love this book! Sooo good!

samantho1's review against another edition

The Blood of Olympus was quite possibly my most anticipated release of the year - the final Heroes of Olympus book - and I was pretty freaking excited for it. The Blood of Olympus was a brilliant end to the Heroes of Olympus series, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the rest of the series.

The Blood of Olympus took me forever to get through. It took me less time to read The Mark of Athena & The House of Hades - and they had more pages! Honestly, The Blood of Olympus had an extremely slow start for me. I wasn't as drawn into the story as I usually was, and I found myself only reading a couple of chapters a day because I was slightly bored. But, the book did pick up about a third of the way in and from that moment on I was hooked.

The demigods are running out of time to stop Gaia from rising. Nico, Reyna and Coach Hedge are trying to get The Athena Parthenos back to Camp Jupiter before the Romans attack while Percy, Annabeth, Leo, Frank, Piper, Jason & Hazel head off to stop Gaia.

I love every single one of the characters in the Heroes of Olympus series, so when it was revealed that one of the 7 demigods would die, I was obviously heartbroken. All 7 of the demigods are amazing for different reasons: Annabeth & Percy are just my absolute faves (obviously, no reasons needed); Leo is hilarious and bonkers; Jason is strong and hilarous; Piper is awesome; Frank is the sweetest and Hazel is badass. I just couldn't imagine losing one of those characters because I love them all. I also really, really love Reyna and Nico. Reyna is just so freaking awesome, badass and amazing. And Nico is the cutest, scariest, most adorable guy ever.

The first part of the book dragged and just lacked the usual feel for me. I can't even explain exactly what it was, I just wasn't that invested at the beginning of the book. But luckily, the book picked up and during the second half I just couldn't put it down. I was excited to see whether the demigods were going to be able to stop Gaia or not - after all the build up throughout the series - or whether it would lead to a huge war, and I wanted to know which of the demigods was going to die - even though I was sure it would kill me. The build up to which character was going to die was kind of ruined when it told you who it was going to be chapters before it happened. Being told who it was going to be took away the emotion from the death. I absolutely adore the character that died, but honestly, I felt nothing during their death. Not a thing, and that's extremely unusual. I wish Riordan had kept that bit of information secret until the moment before the death. The action and fighting at the end of the book was fantastic! Riordan had me on my toes and he can definitely write a brilliant fight scene.

I really loved the ending of The Blood of Olympus, and I also didn't. It was a really happy ending and I did shed a happy tear. But I was also kind of expecting a more final ending from Riordan. I'm slightly happy about the open ending because it means that there could be more from the HoO characters (yay!), but I did really want a wrapped up ending.

Overall, The Blood of Olympus was a brilliant end to The Heroes of Olympus series. Although I didn't enjoy it was much as the rest of the series, I still thought it was a great end to the series. I'm sad that it's over, but I'm hoping that there may be appearances from certain HoO characters in Riordan's new series (pretty, pretty please!) which I'm super excited for!

gulligull's review against another edition

im fine yeah im totally fine sbjajsjjajahaha
I can't believe how short this book felt omg maybe because all of the others were a hundred pages longer? idk anyways I loved this so much
I loved to see nicos perspective for once and his and reynas journey! I loved how nico learned to not isolate himself anymore with Jason's, reynas and wills help! I also love will and nicos dynamic! I'm so excited to see them in toa again!
I think the book could have more of the seven together I felt like we saw Percy so little :( especially seeing Leo and Percy together more would have been so funny their dynamic is amazing!
omg when all the olympians fought with their kids yeah thats exactly what i love to see :) AND OMG How could I forget when Reyna got supported not only by her mother but also Athena tbh what a queen hahjsjaja
and I can't even describe in words how much serotin seeing both of the camps together gave me! maybe I put some thought about the whole series later but that's it for now :D

juana_f's review against another edition

Me gustó mucho, en especial la relación entre Nico, Reyna y hedge. Pero no me gustó la intriga al final

thepurplegiraffe's review against another edition

"Greeks!" Percy yelled, "Let's, um, fight stuff!" They yelled like banshees and charged. Jason grinned. He loved the Greeks. They had no organization whatsoever, but they made up for it in enthusiasm.

Ahhhh my heart is so happy. To be honest, books 3 and 4 kind of disappointed me on re-read, but this one did not. It's such a good conclusion, y'all.

Now, I'm not the biggest Nico fan *dodges angry fangirls* but his relationship with Reyna is one of my favorites in the series. The trio that escorts the statue is just. so. precious. The way they relate to one another, the trust that is built among untrusting people, I just, I can't, *flails*.

And obviously I love all my other children. Percy and Jason and Frank and Leo my sweet boys and Annabeth and Piper and Hazel my sweet girls and I just love them all so much my heart is made so full by this book. I'll miss these nerds until I see them again.

Technically this is a playlist for the first series but I just really love it so here: https://open.spotify.com/user/mylittlegiraffe/playlist/7Et3lHr85Shq41qVU6XjZz?si=pybSAsTlRuGUmd74ljVIBg

5 stars.