Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood, by Trevor Noah

sammyb's review

challenging emotional funny hopeful reflective medium-paced

travelinglovereads's review against another edition

Name a book that made you laugh out loud, and so hard. I’ll wait. If you’ve read this - let me know so we can talk about our favorite parts!

Plot: Memoir of Trevor Noah’s life as he survived the apartheid in South Africa, and essentially was born a crime. This book covers what it was like for him to be born as a child to a black woman and a white man during the apartheid. How he made money to support himself, and how he floated around to different groups of different economic status’ as he tried to find himself.

My thoughts: I don’t know if I have loved a book more. I know I keep saying that I love all these books, but when I tell you that *this book* shook me to my core, I mean it. There’s one other book that I’ll talk about later that also did this, but this is the first book that I read all 2020 that deserves 10 stars.

Trevor Noah at Storytelling = 10/10. I honestly cannot recommend this book enough. This book taught me more about the apartheid, about South Africa, and it’s culture. It made me admire who Trevor Noah is today, but also not surprised that he is who he is. As a child, he was smart, he was a hustler, he was adaptable, faced struggle, and still preserved.

Although I don’t think it was his intention, I also felt that this book was a love letter to his Mom. They went through a lot together, and like him, she seemed resilient to all the struggles she faced.

This book made me laugh out loud, parts of it stressed me out because I wasn’t sure how certain situations were going to play out, and other parts of it made me feel so happy. I just got this book on Audible because I heard it’s great to hear him tell the stories. I can’t wait to listen again!

One last thing, Fufi <3

avolyn's review

It took me nearly 3 years to read this book, I started in 2017 and then it was due back at the library with pending holds and I kept getting pushed away from it. But I'm glad I finally found my way back to it. There is a lot here that you'd never guess about Trevor, just judging by the surface. So many parts of his childhood were absolutely horrifying, and yet Trevor manages to weave his story into something beautiful.

samuraibunny's review against another edition

funny informative inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Listened to it as an audiobook, which I would highly recommend. The author narrates it himself and it just feels like he's telling you his stories like an old buddy.

likexdaisies's review

funny inspiring medium-paced

sagedhanani's review

challenging emotional funny hopeful lighthearted reflective fast-paced

meldaven's review

I really liked this, much more than I was expecting. I don't watch The Daily Show, other than a YouTube clip now and then, but to listen to a first-hand account of Apartheid in South Africa (a subject I learned about in early high school!) is really interesting and educating.

jakelvns's review against another edition

The tone of this book was kind of all over the place for me and made some things that probably should've been funny come off as quite shocking, but I can see past that for the incredibly entertaining, soulful, provocative, articulate, and sometimes deeply frightening memoir it is. Trevor Noah must be protected at all costs; his insights into colorism, crime, law, and segregation could change lives if more people were exposed to them, especially those who think they know better. I really didn't expect to get so much out of this; would highly recommend!

yawa's review against another edition

Som om jeg ikke elsket Trevor Noah nok fra før?! Hjerteskjærende, morsom, interessant og enda mer hjerteskjærende. Trevor og Patricia er verdens flotteste mennesker!

Anbefales grusomt mye, spesielt hvis man liker Trevor fra før, eller bare generelt trenger å educate oneself om Sør-Afrika og apartheid, forskjellen på mixed og colored (SA) og svart og hvit og afrikaaner og alt mulig, egentlig.

Jeg gleder meg til filmen kommer ❤️

gulrv's review

If you're reading this you have to get the audiobook!!

I know I'm super late to the game here but I really enjoyed this. It was funny (as expected), but it also taught me a lot about what it's like to grow up in poverty, especially generational poverty in systemic racism as entrenched as an apartheid.