applesaucecreachur's review

dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

Not many books have the power to make me grin openly, laugh out loud, or choke/tear up. This one did. Trevor Noah's coming-of-age love letter to his mother jumped from story to story of his youth. Some were amusing, some were absurd, and others were downright tragic. All of them, though, masterfully combined comedy with reflection and made cultural and political South African concepts easy for a foreign reader to understand. The cast of characters is vibrant and made three-dimensional with only a few well-thought-out phrases. I wish it had not taken me so long to read this book; I feel that I am a more learned person now, and appreciate my own family all the more.

jnl00700's review

adventurous challenging emotional funny informative inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

imaginethehours's review

adventurous funny hopeful lighthearted reflective sad fast-paced

diananat's review

emotional funny informative inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

wardeh_m's review

emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring reflective sad fast-paced

cblunier's review

challenging dark emotional funny informative medium-paced

pinkgoblin's review

adventurous emotional funny inspiring fast-paced

lucinotlucy's review against another edition

dark emotional informative lighthearted reflective medium-paced

purplelake's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

Wow. Just wow. Born a Crime might be the best book I’ve read in the last couple years.
While novel centers around Noah’s childhood in South Africa, he and his mother are a binary star system, revolving around each other. The amount of respect Noah has for his mother, for all her strengths and weaknesses, charms and faults, is apparent in every word. And Noah’s mother is truly an incredible woman, providing wisdom and opportunity even during apartheid.
The story unfolds through witty vignettes, weaving the timeline back and forth, both non-sequential and somehow the way Noah’s tale is best told. Noah’s candid and irreverent voice is what truly puts this book over the top, guiding his audience through the race struggle of post-apartheid South Africa with grace and humor.
It comes as no surprise that Born a Crime is a comedic masterpiece, but it is the heart of the novel that makes it worth the read.

seyermk's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted reflective fast-paced