befreckledbookworm's review against another edition

emotional funny inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

Wow.
Just wow.
This book was absolutely amazing.
I’m not a huge nonfiction reader, but I love Trevor’s comedy specials and I’d heard good things about his book, so I picked it up from my school library.
He’s a mama’s boy, but not in the way where he’s thirty-something and living in his mom’s basement. Their relationship is like Lorelai and Rory from Gilmore Girls, kind of. They fight and yell at each other, but in the end, they love each other and can always make each other laugh.

adoras's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional hopeful informative lighthearted reflective fast-paced

alenert's review against another edition

challenging funny informative inspiring reflective

Highly highly recommend on audio. I had the physical copy of this, but had heard such great things about the narration—particularly how Noah seamlessly flips between accents and dialects throughout the story—that I decided to listen instead, and I think it really adds to the experience. In addition to this being both moving and funny, I knew next to nothing about South African history and apartheid and feel like I really learned from it as well.

Update to say the one piece of this book that didn’t sit well with me was the discussion of the Holocaust.

emakay's review against another edition

challenging emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

shannonxvx's review against another edition

challenging emotional funny hopeful inspiring sad tense medium-paced

grei's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring reflective sad fast-paced

So, so worth anyone's time if you can read it. Even if you don't get the audiobook you can hear him telling the story in your head.

I don't know a better way to describe this book, it is absolutely an amazing read that defies categorization, other than to say it is the story of Trevor Noah growing up as the son of a black mother and white father during apartheid, when it was illegal to have such a child.