A Stranger in Town, by Kelley Armstrong

sten89's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

caitlinroses's review

3.5 rounded down

Not my favorite of the series. Not sure why but the writing came across different.

airforcesister's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

Not my favorite in the series but still highly entertaining.

bookworm4tea's review against another edition

Rockton #6

Another amazing story in the Stockton series that shows both the human and animal threats they face in the wilds of Rockton and the Yukon. Read through this book in just two days and I’m already looking forward to the next book to be published.

kshrutz's review against another edition

I didn’t enjoy this book as much as some of the others in this series. I felt like there was way too much happening and not enough breathing room. I’m also not sure how I feel about the revelations; some, I predicted, but others, I felt were maybe too convenient. I’m a bit tired of authors introducing the real “villain” as a previously unknown entity after several books, but I didn't mind how it played out in this series since there was a gradual build-up. I do think the series is heading in an interesting direction and I'm curious to see what comes next!

My thoughts about this series in general: I started the Rockton series because I like almost all of Kelley Armstrong’s books and wanted to give this one a try. Although it was intriguing enough, I didn’t love book 3, so I fell off the series. Then, I happened to listen to an audiobook copy of book 4, and fell in love. I am way more immersed in the mystery when I listen to it rather than read it. I tend to get annoyed of mystery novels, but because the setting is so unique, it’s easier for me to go with the flow and not overthink the plot twists. I’m also not much of an outdoors person, so I find the scenes with environmental/animal threats to be really thrilling, even if others may not consider them realistic. I also really like the character development and world building (especially with the Nadia Stafford connection).

ogma's review

adventurous lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

jocelyn62013's review

fictionaladventures's review

4.5 stars. This was wild! I adored every moment of it!

mirificmoxie's review

3 Stars

*A fast-paced but less engaging installment in this series *

I’ve enjoyed the Rockton series so far. Sure, they lean a bit towards romantic suspense rather than grittier mysteries. But they are fast-paced with engaging plots and likeable characters. It’s well written enough for me to forgive it for being written in present tense.

But I have to admit that A Stranger in Town was my least favorite in the series thus far and the first to leave me feeling lukewarm. The first five books each brought something new while still building upon previous books. But this one felt a little repetitive with a trying to hard to one-up itself vibe. There was less of a mystery element to the story and more focus on the overarching conspiracy plot. My investment in the series was due more to the foundation of the previous books than to anything new brought by A Stranger in Town. This was the first time that I started hoping that this series has a predetermined end in mind so that it doesn’t turn into one of those series that drags on and on while steadily dropping in quality until you either bitterly abandon it or desperately hope the author puts it out of its misery.

Despite my lukewarm feelings for this installment, it still wasn’t a bad book. I easily read through it in two days because it was still interesting, pacy, and easy to read. And admittedly, I am invested enough in the characters that I’m going to keep reading the series to find out what happens next. Hopefully, this one was just a bump on the road and the next installment is better.

RATING FACTORS:
Ease of Reading: 4 Stars
Writing Style: 3 Stars
Characters and Character Development: 4 Stars
Plot Structure and Development: 3 Stars
Level of Captivation: 3 Stars
Originality: 3 Stars

kaleys23's review

Originally reviewed at Books Etc.

I'm finding it difficult to acknowledge that Kelley Armstrong's Rockton series will be coming to an end soon. Maybe it's because I hadn't quite realized before the Q&A I did with her that there would likely only be seven books. A Stranger in Town is book six. I also didn't get into the series until the fourth book so I haven't had as long with the characters and I'm just not ready to let go of this great mystery series yet!

You might know that I don't often reread a synopsis before reading a book I've requested for review. In the case of A Stranger in Town, I don't even think I read it before saying, YES PLEASE. I'm so thankful the publisher sought me out (it seems to have changed publishers since the last book's release...) because I'm loving this series so much. So that means that the description, which I've now read, contained a lot of info that I didn't know before I started reading (other than someone stumbling into town - the title kind of gave that one away). I especially like to stay in the dark with mysteries because I don't want any preconceived ideas to get into my head, even if it's one the publisher is allowing out into the world. Which also makes reviewing these types of books tricky because I don't want to give anything away either!

I had absolutely no idea how the mystery was going to resolve itself. None. I couldn't figure out the links and instead of wishing I could keep up with Casey and Dalton's minds, I just rolled with it, trusting them, and Armstrong, to keep me guessing (and wondering and worrying and on the edge of my seat and entertained) until the end when everything would come together. I wasn't expecting quite as much of a big, red bow as I got but that has me more excited now for what's to come. (Excited might be the wrong word. It will not be easy and I'm sure Casey will have at least one more dead body to deal with.)

I also love the characters you meet in Armstrong's series. Yes, there are multiple books so you spend a lot of time with them and learn a lot about them, but Armstrong has a knack for letting you into their world and allowing you to really get to know them. None of them are one-dimensional, stereotypical characters. There are layers to everyone, even those who just get a passing mention in the story, and the reader learns more about them as they begin to trust and open up more to each other. That, in turn, makes the reading experience even more enjoyable.

The location was, as always, a character itself. I haven't been to the Yukon but my sister worked two summers at a camp on the Alaskan highway. It definitely wasn't as remote as Rockton (you can actually find it on a map) but her stories and pictures help make these novels come even more alive for me. An amusing anecdote before I close this review: chapter 22 begins with Casey and Dalton heading to Lynx Lake. Casey mentions that "the Yukon isn't a zoo" and many southerners don't realize that wildlife, lynx included, aren't wandering around for the tourists' enjoyment. My sister had a hell of a time spotting a moose in the wild so I snapped a pic of the paragraph and sent it to her. She enjoyed it as much as I thought she would. And what pops up on her Instagram feed the next day? This timely post from Travel Yukon.

I have a feeling I know some of what's coming in the next (last???) Rockton novel. A Stranger in Town did wrap a lot of things up, which was great, but also has left me wondering (and worrying) about what on earth is going to happen next. I cannot wait to see what Kelley Armstrong has up her sleeve for the residents of Rockton.

*An egalley of this novel was provided by the Canadian distributor, Raincoast Books, in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*