Reviews tagging Cursing

From Blood and Ash, by Jennifer L. Armentrout

ka_ke's review against another edition

adventurous funny tense medium-paced

I wasn’t sure that I was going to finish From Blood and Ash at first, but I am so glad I pushed through. The beginning is a bit repetitive, but now that I have finished it, I understand why!

FBAA definitely lives up to the hype.

yodareads12's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

Okay, so I would have 100% given this book five stars if there hadn't been so much cursing and a few sex scenes. It was an absolutely amazing story and well written book!

Poppy has been chosen since birth, but for what she doesn't really know. Part of her being chosen means she has to always have her face covered, she isn't supposed to touch other people, and she can only do what she's told is allowed. Obviously, she does not feel honored by this consideration she can never truly be herself.

Hawke comes along and becomes her newest guard. He's the first person who calls her by her name regularly instead of calling her Maiden (her "chosen" title). But there are secrets that he is keeping from her.

We get to follow along as there are kidnapping attempts, battles, and forbidden romance. Definitely a really good read!

Obviously, based on what I mentioned above, I'd recommend for adults and up due to some of the content. The genre would be Fantasy.

ella_swis's review against another edition

adventurous dark medium-paced

Slow start but it pays off in the end. Massive spoilers if you get to the middle of the book and read the synopses of the next two books.

beansbookshelf's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny tense medium-paced

great way to start a series. amazing plot twists. each chapter left me unable to put the book down.
very spicy and lots of fun

karelidz's review against another edition

adventurous slow-paced

The story itself was pretty engaging. I felt like maybe i would've liked a bit more story progression instead of "steamy" scenes, but it was a very enjoyable read over all

helpme71's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional funny hopeful mysterious sad tense medium-paced

kinskinn's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense slow-paced

ieryka_magic's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious slow-paced

michellemaas's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense slow-paced

From Blood and Ash is a good book, but it definitely suffers from what I call "first book syndrome". A huge chunk of the book is dedicated to explaining the world, but it's paced very poorly so the first 6 chapters are so slow that you almost put the book down, and then the last few chapters are so fast that you finish the book confused. The actual world-building is so complicated though (and paced so poorly) that I didn't really understand it by the end but I will say that this all definitely gets better in books 2 and 3 so I would say it is worth suffering through the first few chapters for.

Now I'm going on to our main couple: Poppy and Hawke ; )
Poppy and Hawke have so much chemistry from the getgo. Their relationship is one of my all-time favorites (taking books 2 and 3 into account as well) and I would say this book gave the perfect introduction to their relationship which still has a lot of evolving to do.

The SMUT is also pretty good (since I know some of you were wondering). The amount of SMUT in this book was actually at a perfect level for me where it wasn't the only thing the book was about (there was one hell of a plot you had to focus on, after all) but it was also more than enough to satiate the need for it.

As I'm sure you heard by now, there's a huge plot twist in the end. It was pretty obvious but the plot twist has so many facets to it (and since most readers don't understand the world until book 2 anyway) you won't be able to guess it all so again I suggest you just suffer through it. I realize I used the word suffer quite a lot in this review but it actually really is a good book it's just the pacing that really ruined it.

themegaread's review against another edition

adventurous dark medium-paced