Reviews tagging Domestic abuse

From Blood and Ash, by Jennifer L. Armentrout

niita's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark mysterious tense medium-paced

I regret everything I've ever said about this book. It's starts off pretty slow, but after the Rite, things start to pick up. I've never really been a fan of the "Enemies to lovers" trope but this was pretty good. I wouldn't recommend for anyone with low patience though. Stick it though the end, you'll enjoy it ❤❤❤❤

anushar's review

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced

tbh I didn’t know that this book had vampires in it and if I had known that I probably wouldn’t have picked it up (I’m sorry I know that’s a bias, but I watched the trailer for twilight once and have been scarred ever since) but this book was surprisingly good. I saw a lot of hype for it so I figured I’d try it and I ended up loving the characters. Poppy is an especially strong character who grows so much in this book, I can’t wait to see her unleash herself on the world. I had very low expectations for the guy (I mean Hawke is such a ridiculous name) but I was pleasantly surprised, he is pretty stereotypical at some parts but he was funny and the banter was top tier so I’m giving it a pass. If you like watching your main character go from being manipulated to murdering people I would recommend this book.
4/5 stars

helpme71's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional funny hopeful mysterious sad tense medium-paced

bookworm_maddie's review against another edition

adventurous emotional tense medium-paced

ionai's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious medium-paced

jub's review against another edition

adventurous dark medium-paced

bdstrunk's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

this book read like a well-written fanfiction. i never thought i could get into a book (especially another series) while anxiously awaiting one from a different series that has me absolutely hooked, but here i am. it was very easy to jump into it and read like i was binging a webcomic, and i liked just losing myself to a story.

that said, Poppy greatly annoyed me. while i guess being dumb is a valid character trait, it got a bit irritating. like, what happened to all that willpower, unno? not one critical thought crossed her mind when the first man she gets close to shows interest in her. and i kinda get it?? being locked away for 18 years can’t do good things for one’s sense of judgement. but idk, it didn’t bother me too much until the end, where i frequently stopped to act out what i would’ve done in that situation instead.
SpoilerHE WANTS TO HAND YOU BACK OVER TO THOSE MONSTERS. GET AHOLD OF YOURSELF!!

nevertheless, i dogeared many, many parts of the novel, and if you’re a fan of smutty fanfiction, this book is definitely worth your time.

p.s.: i’m assuming most who see this will be coming from tiktok, expecting this to be an enemies-to-lovers book, well
Spoilercalling it “enemies-to-lovers” is the biggest spoiler you’ll see.
just about any fan art you see will definitely spoil it, too :))

blacksheep11's review

dark tense medium-paced

Spoiler
The beginning of the book was a bit slow but once it picked up I started to really enjoy it. I always knew Hawke was hiding something and I knew it would come to light. However the big shock reveal wasn’t shocking to me and in fact I just started to dislike hawke. But what really sent me off the edge was how she had the Stockholm syndrome effect and STILL wanting him. He played a part in ruining her life. Half of their ‘relationship’ was a lie. He was continuously treating her like she was his property. And wow I’m just so mad that people enjoy this. He would continuously hurt her emotionally and it was shown as ‘dark love.’ Nahh that’s just an abusive relationship being romanticized. Oh and just to add how it felt Paedophilic. She was constantly described as small and innocent. She was even given the clothes of a child at one point

crystallis's review

adventurous challenging emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

This book is good.

I liked the story, it is easy to follow and interesting, however (and I don’t know if I was the only one) I could tell what the plot twist was going to be at the very first chapters of the book. So I could say that the story was kind of basic but that’s fine with me.

I enjoyed the characters, mostly Poppy and Hawke because of their good chemistry, also I thought the build up of the world is fine.

The ending is what I liked the most of the entire book, and yes, I know I said the plot twist was kind of predictable but that doesn’t change the way I felt when I read the last few chapters.

I think is has good pacing and the tropes are well used (and I mean that),
How Hawke helped Poppy in a way where no one ever else never dare to do (despise her being the one and only Maiden) made my heart melt.

</SPOILER ALERT>
After the plot twist I was as mad at Hawke as Poppy was, but I also (still) loved him as much as her.
That is something I really loved about the book, I got me to the point where I wanted to throw a lamp at him but at the same time that I wanted Poppy to being  with him in a romantic way.
And I have to say, it was a good betrayal trope. A good way to start a lover to enemies with all of that sexual tension.
</END OF THE SPOILER>

Unfortunately, I only cared for Hawke and Poppy. And that’s bad. Vikter, Poppy’s friend, the duchess, Ian and all of those others characters were so irrelevant to me. However, I can feel that this little Queen the kingdom has is going to be important in the next books (which is not surprising at all, I mean, in fantasy books the queens tend to be important characters)

Something else that kind of disappointed me was the ✨spice✨
People hype up this books spice SO much that they made me believe I was about to read the next kamastura, and in reality it was just fine.

Before I finished this quick review, I feel like I have to give an special mention to the Lord (i don’t remember his name, and I wouldn’t wanted it in any other way) and the Duke, because I fucking despite them and loved their endings.

I can’t wait the read how the story follows.

Read you all later.