Reviews tagging Emotional abuse

From Blood and Ash, by Jennifer L. Armentrout

niita's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark mysterious tense medium-paced

I regret everything I've ever said about this book. It's starts off pretty slow, but after the Rite, things start to pick up. I've never really been a fan of the "Enemies to lovers" trope but this was pretty good. I wouldn't recommend for anyone with low patience though. Stick it though the end, you'll enjoy it ❤❤❤❤

miciahsreads's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional tense medium-paced

ldystargazer's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

Easily one of the better fantasy books I have read. Starts off a little slow and the size of the book is intimidating. However the second half and ending is well worth it!

lisaandthebooks's review against another edition

adventurous dark sad fast-paced

It was interesting enough but I wouldn't say it's a must read. I didn't like any of the characters really and the plot often made me really uncomfortable. Still I would say it's a 3 star read but I'm not sure whether I will read the second book. I would probably prefer just getting a summary from someone because I don't want to go through that again.

Also I have to say this book was completely different from what I expected it to be. The plot twists weren't really shocking to me even though I couldn't figure out the details on my own but most things were pretty obvious.

edit: I think I found out why I didn't like this book as much as I could have: there is just literally no hope. There are no good characters, no friends, no good guardians or figures Poppy can rely on that survive. And honestly it's just depressing and also perfect breeding ground for a toxic relationship (Poppy has no one else left and everyone besides HIM wants to kill her so..)
I will not read the next books because why would I just make myself purposely feel bad?

I do think Jennifer L. Armentrout is a great writer though and will definitely try another one of her series and maybe I will like them better :)

beansbookshelf's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny tense medium-paced

great way to start a series. amazing plot twists. each chapter left me unable to put the book down.
very spicy and lots of fun

lornak14's review against another edition

reflective medium-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

mschmitz's review

adventurous dark medium-paced

This book was just okay for me. I felt that the plot points were a little obvious and I wasn't too surprised by any of the reveals or twists. I was actually surprised Poppy didn't piece a lot of it together early on, because there were many times she actually mentally noted a lot of the giveaways, but she never actually put anything together until it was already all revealed and too late. I can understand though because she is a teenager who has lived a very sheltered life and hasn't had much human interaction yet.

Spoiler
I don't love reading how it hurts young girls to have sex for the first time. The implication that the hymen is internal and is always torn and painful the first time is simply not true. I am always hopeful that authors are past these outdated ideals about female anatomy and sex in this day and age, so that was a little bit disappointing for me. I am also really not into the 100+ year old male with a teenage girl love interest plot, but I know it is a big trend and people love it. Even though the male always appears young and beautiful, I still can't get it out of my head that they are literally older than the girl's grandparents (sometimes multiple times over) and am always put off by the pedophilic implications. Besides the insane age difference though, the relationship so far is not a healthy one. He takes advantage of her naivety and helplessness, lies to her, manipulates her, kidnaps her, murders the people she relies on in order to isolate her, and laughs and sexualizes her when she is angry instead of treating her feelings with respect. I am nervous to see how the author develops this relationship through the rest of the series. I am hopeful it doesn't turn out to be another romanticized case of Stockholm syndrome though.

solinel7's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional funny inspiring sad tense medium-paced

I actually enjoyed this book so much. There were many things that I saw coming but one I didnt and that was the end.
It's been a day since I finished reading it and I haven't stopped thinking about it so, had to get the others. I don't know what to say without spoiling so...
I gave it a 4.5 rating but it might change.

If you plan on reading this, you should definitely look for a list of Trigger Warnings. It's really important.

klerakeepsbooks's review

adventurous dark emotional funny mysterious tense medium-paced

smazzeo96's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny mysterious sad medium-paced