Reviews tagging Sexism

lornak14's review against another edition

reflective medium-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

level1055's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark mysterious tense medium-paced

Ummm... I don't know how Casteel became lovable to you all...
🙏

ieryka_magic's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious slow-paced

laughy_taffy's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny inspiring mysterious tense medium-paced

katloupet's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious medium-paced

This book stared out kind of slow and I had a hard time getting into it but once it picked up I enjoyed it. I enjoyed the characters and the romance as well as the world, though the world building was confusing in the beginning there is a good reason for that. I’m exited to read the next book and continue the story

That said I do think it’s important to mention the the POC rep in this book is terrible. Most of the characters in this book are white and those who aren’t are in service to main white characters. Additionally one of them turns into an wolf. Not to mention their names, Tawny and Kieran, mean brown and “little dark one” respectively. (This was pointed out by mynameismarines on tiktok I didn’t realize it myself)

Link to tiktok video

skm's review

I am so angry that I bought the sequels before finishing this book. The first half is alright, but the handling of physical abuse was horrible. The last line absolutely sums up the rest of the book: Poppy is given the illusion of choice, but the men have already made a decision regarding her life for her. Hawke's savior complex is gross, there are no likable characters in this book. The plot is nonexistent for the first 100 or so pages, then infodumped at random.

talknerdybookblog's review

adventurous emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

Representation: Bisexual hero, supporting characters of colour

From Blood and Ash was really well written, and I liked the Heroine, Poppy. I was debating rating the book 3-stars but the fact that the Hero
Spoilernever once apologized to Poppy started the decline. And, it just got worse from there.

He's a player, a know-it-all, can never be wrong, and it's never his fault (there's always an excuse). Yet, he doesn't seem to understand that someone else's wrong does absolve him of his actions. No matter how horrible the Solis kingdom is, that doesn't excuse him tricking Poppy into believing he cared for her. And, before someone rebuts that he does care for her, given what he did to her (who he killed), what he allowed done to her when the truth comes out and how he slept with her (her first time) without coming clean, shows Poppy isn't a person to him. She's a means to an end... she's something to possess.

I appreciated that Poppy seems to realize at the end that there's a difference between lust and love and loyalty. But I would've preferred her not to get steamrolled by Hawke's good looks. In real life, if your lover were holding you captive, endangering your life, and only willing to help you with conditions... he would be the definition of toxic and abusive. So, I really don't understand how Hawke is romanticized after this.

Also, he actually used the fact that he was held captive and physically and sexually abused for decades as an excuse for his behaviour. So, another thing he was never told? That victims don't get free passes to be abusers.

Oh! And, he never got Poppy's consent when he bit her. I found that scene very offensive. Luckily, Poppy verbally consented to them sleeping together afterward – the bit doesn't influence her in that way, so it was legit verbal consent. But, the fact that I couldn't trust Hawke he wouldn't [email protected] Poppy made me ill to my stomach.

I also loved how Poppy recognized how Hawke (and his people) might be right about her kingdom, but that doesn't negate the hatred within his kingdom. There's a reason two wrongs don't make a right, and Poppy's reception by Hawke's people illustrates how while fighting Poppy's kingdom, they have replicated their behaviour: hating people simply for their nationality, when they don't know the reality or beliefs of the person.

Finally, I got really annoyed with how Hawke kept deflecting accountability. Every time Poppy called him out on his betrayal, he would deflect and mock the fact that Poppy slept with him (which is so skeevy given that he knew she would've turned him down if she knew the truth), or lay blame at Poppy's feet for her kingdom's bad decisions. Yet, Hawke was alive pre-war and admits his people created the horrible vampyrs – they are HIS PEOPLES problem, so I do not understand how he can blame someone who was ignorant.

Does anyone else find it weird how Hawke teases Poppy for being "so violent"? When she only uses force when she's fighting for her life/freedom/in danger?

I'm unsure if I'm going to read this second book. Considering how offended I was by so many scenes in the last 20% I don't think I should read the next book. But, the premise was really good. I liked Poppy's characterization, and I'm a sucker for the Chosen One trope.

Safety Rating: Safe with Exceptions
Spoiler
• No cheating
• No OM drama
• Does (kind of but not really) have OW drama
– the Hero, Hawke, thinks Poppy is someone else when they first meet and he kisses her. Hawke thinks Poppy is one of her maids, but Poppy never meets with this maid in the book.
• Does have the Heroine pushing the Hero away

• Mind control (mind [email protected]) > ignores the Heroine's free will
• Abduction
• Confinement
• SEXISM
• Allusion to death of children (vampire's drinking their blood)

Ending:
SpoilerCliffhanger

laughterbynight's review

slow-paced

samchase112's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense slow-paced

Fear and bravery are often one and the same. It either makes you a warrior or a coward. The only difference is the person it resides inside.

I'm so torn about this one. The first third was utterly confusing and frustrating, the middle third much more interesting, and the last third action-packed and engrossing. I enjoyed Poppy as a narrator, and liked figuring things out along with her - except when it was easy to figure out twists she was blind to.
SpoilerHIS. GODDAMN. TEETH. COME ON.
There were a lot of things that bugged me about it though, including the incredibly cheesy lines (ughhhhh so cheesy), the lazy world building (Atlantians???), and how quickly Poppy got over her grief in every situation. But I am definitely going to pick up the next book - mainly because I got it free, let's be honest - and I can say that I have enjoyed a vampire book. So there.

Read with the Intertextuals Book Club :)

sunsetcity's review

adventurous emotional lighthearted tense medium-paced

This was quite the wild ride. I definitely think that this was way too long and there was a lot of repetition, especially in Poppy's inner monologue. The romance was alright and I thought the ending was explosive enough for me to be interested in reading the next.