Reviews tagging Sexual content

From Blood and Ash, by Jennifer L. Armentrout

t4vs's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

I liked this book more than i thought i would. According to booktok, this book looked like pure smut. (This is why i refused to read it for a while)

But i decided to give it a shot, and it actually has a consistent and good plot! Althought the beggining and the worldbuilding are kinda confusing, the rest is pretty nice!

Loved the characters, specially Poppy, Vikter and Tawny

WHERE IS THE SECOND ONEEE GIMME

ashwyn's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny mysterious sad tense slow-paced

It's entertaining enough, but it is very trope heavy, to the point that the plot only really starts getting important about 70% of the way through. Most of the book is filler and drags out because it focuses primarily on the romance, which would be okay, except nothing too substantial happens for upwards of 400 pages. The twist was really predictable so Poppy looked like an absolute idiot.

On Poppy: her character started out strong and then became whiney and moronic at the twist, which was really disappointing. She's written to be a badass, independent woman, and at times she is. Other times, she cannot think for herself, relies heavily on others (especially the hot guy she met like 2 weeks ago) and is excessively horny, not always at appropriate times too (and for like, no good reason). I like Poppy, but at the same time, I also don't. She's very slow on figuring things out, to the point I got second-hand embarrassment for her. Poppy is compelling, but also stupid. It is a very weird combination at times.

On Hawke: yeah whatever. He's a hot guy with a tragic backstory. Nothing too interesting or unique so far. He's funny though, so he is at least interesting to read. He also gets horny at bad times, like when Poppy is in pain, or sad, angry, or upset. Very gross tbh.

The action scenes were amazing but the book lacks setting descriptions so you kind of have no idea where they are a lot of the time. Also, the first 150 pages were the most confusing beginning of any book I've read. The reader gets dumped with info but not the information that actually makes sense for what is happening at that moment in the book so it is very, very confusing.

It's just the first book though so things usually improve. Don't know how there is going to be anything other than a second book because the plot already seems stretched thin for no reason other than wasting time.

likethepickle's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional sad medium-paced

theheirlooms's review against another edition

adventurous dark medium-paced

jeamar82's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark mysterious medium-paced

jupiterlee's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

The only reason this book didn't get a 5Star is because I am not sure how the rest of the series is going to play out. We have been told it is going to be 6/7books and I am wondering how the lacing is going to work.so I knocked half a star off as I am not jumping to read the next book.
That does not mean that I have lost interest or I am not intrigued because I am, but I feel that for the time being, for me, it has ended nicely that I can leave it for a while and then go back (this is coming from someone who hates to read unfinished series due to not having patience to wait for the next books to come out so this is a purely bias opinion)

It does start of slightly slow but I believe this is due to all the information that the reader needed to understand the back story etc,but it does pick up!
this series has a badass curvy woman as the protagonist that is snarky and doesn't like being told what to do. Of course here is also a beautiful male counter part that I believe most woman (and men) would throw themselves at. There are also plenty of side characters that you can't help but love.

It is a story that deals with a lot of different themes and I love nothing better that power hungry abusing individuals get what the deserve.

It should possibly come with a few content warnings such as abuse, torture (in my opinion), violence etc but I do not believe that any of them are graphic enough that it should cause distress but if you have experienced any you may want to be careful!

As I said at the begining, the pacing of this book certainly picked up and if has left me wondering how we are going to get 6/7 books out of this series but I am excited to find out and I am in it for the journey.

cammisasabrina's review

adventurous dark emotional fast-paced

hopetilly's review

adventurous emotional mysterious medium-paced

limitlessreads's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny inspiring mysterious sad tense fast-paced

I did not think I'd like this book at all. I actually ended up quite enjoying it. I even got teared up during a specific chapter. Badass MC and crazy plot twists...even if you do end up seeing some of them coming ;)

lemonysquish's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

Spoiler this is totally on me but I did NOT go into this expecting a vampire/werewolf story which really turned me off the last bit of the book. Makes me unsure if I want to continue the series. I'm invested in Poppy and her journey but I guess enemies to lovers isn't my thing because I felt nothing but disgust at how her emotions and naivety were played with by Hawke