Reviews tagging Torture

From Blood and Ash, by Jennifer L. Armentrout

jupiterlee's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

The only reason this book didn't get a 5Star is because I am not sure how the rest of the series is going to play out. We have been told it is going to be 6/7books and I am wondering how the lacing is going to work.so I knocked half a star off as I am not jumping to read the next book.
That does not mean that I have lost interest or I am not intrigued because I am, but I feel that for the time being, for me, it has ended nicely that I can leave it for a while and then go back (this is coming from someone who hates to read unfinished series due to not having patience to wait for the next books to come out so this is a purely bias opinion)

It does start of slightly slow but I believe this is due to all the information that the reader needed to understand the back story etc,but it does pick up!
this series has a badass curvy woman as the protagonist that is snarky and doesn't like being told what to do. Of course here is also a beautiful male counter part that I believe most woman (and men) would throw themselves at. There are also plenty of side characters that you can't help but love.

It is a story that deals with a lot of different themes and I love nothing better that power hungry abusing individuals get what the deserve.

It should possibly come with a few content warnings such as abuse, torture (in my opinion), violence etc but I do not believe that any of them are graphic enough that it should cause distress but if you have experienced any you may want to be careful!

As I said at the begining, the pacing of this book certainly picked up and if has left me wondering how we are going to get 6/7 books out of this series but I am excited to find out and I am in it for the journey.

hopetilly's review

adventurous emotional mysterious medium-paced

miciahsreads's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional tense medium-paced

ldystargazer's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

Easily one of the better fantasy books I have read. Starts off a little slow and the size of the book is intimidating. However the second half and ending is well worth it!

sarahpalys's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced

lornak14's review against another edition

reflective medium-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

level1055's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark mysterious tense medium-paced

Ummm... I don't know how Casteel became lovable to you all...
🙏

mschmitz's review

adventurous dark medium-paced

This book was just okay for me. I felt that the plot points were a little obvious and I wasn't too surprised by any of the reveals or twists. I was actually surprised Poppy didn't piece a lot of it together early on, because there were many times she actually mentally noted a lot of the giveaways, but she never actually put anything together until it was already all revealed and too late. I can understand though because she is a teenager who has lived a very sheltered life and hasn't had much human interaction yet.

Spoiler
I don't love reading how it hurts young girls to have sex for the first time. The implication that the hymen is internal and is always torn and painful the first time is simply not true. I am always hopeful that authors are past these outdated ideals about female anatomy and sex in this day and age, so that was a little bit disappointing for me. I am also really not into the 100+ year old male with a teenage girl love interest plot, but I know it is a big trend and people love it. Even though the male always appears young and beautiful, I still can't get it out of my head that they are literally older than the girl's grandparents (sometimes multiple times over) and am always put off by the pedophilic implications. Besides the insane age difference though, the relationship so far is not a healthy one. He takes advantage of her naivety and helplessness, lies to her, manipulates her, kidnaps her, murders the people she relies on in order to isolate her, and laughs and sexualizes her when she is angry instead of treating her feelings with respect. I am nervous to see how the author develops this relationship through the rest of the series. I am hopeful it doesn't turn out to be another romanticized case of Stockholm syndrome though.

solinel7's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional funny inspiring sad tense medium-paced

I actually enjoyed this book so much. There were many things that I saw coming but one I didnt and that was the end.
It's been a day since I finished reading it and I haven't stopped thinking about it so, had to get the others. I don't know what to say without spoiling so...
I gave it a 4.5 rating but it might change.

If you plan on reading this, you should definitely look for a list of Trigger Warnings. It's really important.

ieryka_magic's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious slow-paced