Reviews tagging Toxic relationship

From Blood and Ash, by Jennifer L. Armentrout

lemonysquish's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

Spoiler this is totally on me but I did NOT go into this expecting a vampire/werewolf story which really turned me off the last bit of the book. Makes me unsure if I want to continue the series. I'm invested in Poppy and her journey but I guess enemies to lovers isn't my thing because I felt nothing but disgust at how her emotions and naivety were played with by Hawke

ka_ke's review against another edition

adventurous funny tense medium-paced

I wasn’t sure that I was going to finish From Blood and Ash at first, but I am so glad I pushed through. The beginning is a bit repetitive, but now that I have finished it, I understand why!

FBAA definitely lives up to the hype.

lisaandthebooks's review against another edition

adventurous dark sad fast-paced

It was interesting enough but I wouldn't say it's a must read. I didn't like any of the characters really and the plot often made me really uncomfortable. Still I would say it's a 3 star read but I'm not sure whether I will read the second book. I would probably prefer just getting a summary from someone because I don't want to go through that again.

Also I have to say this book was completely different from what I expected it to be. The plot twists weren't really shocking to me even though I couldn't figure out the details on my own but most things were pretty obvious.

edit: I think I found out why I didn't like this book as much as I could have: there is just literally no hope. There are no good characters, no friends, no good guardians or figures Poppy can rely on that survive. And honestly it's just depressing and also perfect breeding ground for a toxic relationship (Poppy has no one else left and everyone besides HIM wants to kill her so..)
I will not read the next books because why would I just make myself purposely feel bad?

I do think Jennifer L. Armentrout is a great writer though and will definitely try another one of her series and maybe I will like them better :)

pandorax4's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

I really enjoyed this book, surprisingly! Was a little slower to start and got a lot spicer than I expected - but was still overall really great! Look forward to the second one.

level1055's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark mysterious tense medium-paced

Ummm... I don't know how Casteel became lovable to you all...
🙏

mschmitz's review

adventurous dark medium-paced

This book was just okay for me. I felt that the plot points were a little obvious and I wasn't too surprised by any of the reveals or twists. I was actually surprised Poppy didn't piece a lot of it together early on, because there were many times she actually mentally noted a lot of the giveaways, but she never actually put anything together until it was already all revealed and too late. I can understand though because she is a teenager who has lived a very sheltered life and hasn't had much human interaction yet.

Spoiler
I don't love reading how it hurts young girls to have sex for the first time. The implication that the hymen is internal and is always torn and painful the first time is simply not true. I am always hopeful that authors are past these outdated ideals about female anatomy and sex in this day and age, so that was a little bit disappointing for me. I am also really not into the 100+ year old male with a teenage girl love interest plot, but I know it is a big trend and people love it. Even though the male always appears young and beautiful, I still can't get it out of my head that they are literally older than the girl's grandparents (sometimes multiple times over) and am always put off by the pedophilic implications. Besides the insane age difference though, the relationship so far is not a healthy one. He takes advantage of her naivety and helplessness, lies to her, manipulates her, kidnaps her, murders the people she relies on in order to isolate her, and laughs and sexualizes her when she is angry instead of treating her feelings with respect. I am nervous to see how the author develops this relationship through the rest of the series. I am hopeful it doesn't turn out to be another romanticized case of Stockholm syndrome though.

hannalizzy's review

adventurous emotional mysterious slow-paced

the1975's review

I somewhat enjoyed reading this, but there's so many things wrong with it.

blacksheep11's review

dark tense medium-paced

Spoiler
The beginning of the book was a bit slow but once it picked up I started to really enjoy it. I always knew Hawke was hiding something and I knew it would come to light. However the big shock reveal wasn’t shocking to me and in fact I just started to dislike hawke. But what really sent me off the edge was how she had the Stockholm syndrome effect and STILL wanting him. He played a part in ruining her life. Half of their ‘relationship’ was a lie. He was continuously treating her like she was his property. And wow I’m just so mad that people enjoy this. He would continuously hurt her emotionally and it was shown as ‘dark love.’ Nahh that’s just an abusive relationship being romanticized. Oh and just to add how it felt Paedophilic. She was constantly described as small and innocent. She was even given the clothes of a child at one point

fumowu's review