Reviews tagging Violence

From Blood and Ash, by Jennifer L. Armentrout

literaryillusions's review against another edition

adventurous emotional inspiring mysterious slow-paced

I legit don't want to label this as too many things 'cause I don't want to give anything away! Totally blew me away. The only reason I didn't give it five (it is really like 4.5) is because I wanted the dual POV - but Poppy honestly is so engaging I barely even noticed that! Totally going down a rabbit hole.

jupiterlee's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

The only reason this book didn't get a 5Star is because I am not sure how the rest of the series is going to play out. We have been told it is going to be 6/7books and I am wondering how the lacing is going to work.so I knocked half a star off as I am not jumping to read the next book.
That does not mean that I have lost interest or I am not intrigued because I am, but I feel that for the time being, for me, it has ended nicely that I can leave it for a while and then go back (this is coming from someone who hates to read unfinished series due to not having patience to wait for the next books to come out so this is a purely bias opinion)

It does start of slightly slow but I believe this is due to all the information that the reader needed to understand the back story etc,but it does pick up!
this series has a badass curvy woman as the protagonist that is snarky and doesn't like being told what to do. Of course here is also a beautiful male counter part that I believe most woman (and men) would throw themselves at. There are also plenty of side characters that you can't help but love.

It is a story that deals with a lot of different themes and I love nothing better that power hungry abusing individuals get what the deserve.

It should possibly come with a few content warnings such as abuse, torture (in my opinion), violence etc but I do not believe that any of them are graphic enough that it should cause distress but if you have experienced any you may want to be careful!

As I said at the begining, the pacing of this book certainly picked up and if has left me wondering how we are going to get 6/7 books out of this series but I am excited to find out and I am in it for the journey.

hopetilly's review

adventurous emotional mysterious medium-paced

lemonysquish's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

Spoiler this is totally on me but I did NOT go into this expecting a vampire/werewolf story which really turned me off the last bit of the book. Makes me unsure if I want to continue the series. I'm invested in Poppy and her journey but I guess enemies to lovers isn't my thing because I felt nothing but disgust at how her emotions and naivety were played with by Hawke

princessofsongs's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious tense slow-paced

niita's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark mysterious tense medium-paced

I regret everything I've ever said about this book. It's starts off pretty slow, but after the Rite, things start to pick up. I've never really been a fan of the "Enemies to lovers" trope but this was pretty good. I wouldn't recommend for anyone with low patience though. Stick it though the end, you'll enjoy it ❤❤❤❤

miciahsreads's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional tense medium-paced

ka_ke's review against another edition

adventurous funny tense medium-paced

I wasn’t sure that I was going to finish From Blood and Ash at first, but I am so glad I pushed through. The beginning is a bit repetitive, but now that I have finished it, I understand why!

FBAA definitely lives up to the hype.

maddysbooks_'s review

adventurous emotional mysterious medium-paced

i really enjoyed this book. i’ve seen some reviews that say the majority of this book is world building which causes it to be boring, but even the world building parts i didn’t find boring at all. i became completely immersed in this world the author created. since reading acotar and throne of glass, i haven’t found a series that i’ve enjoyed as much as those but i have a feeling this one is going to be up there
choosing to give this 4.5 stars just bc i’ve heard the sequel is even better than this one. i have very high expectations

lisaandthebooks's review against another edition

adventurous dark sad fast-paced

It was interesting enough but I wouldn't say it's a must read. I didn't like any of the characters really and the plot often made me really uncomfortable. Still I would say it's a 3 star read but I'm not sure whether I will read the second book. I would probably prefer just getting a summary from someone because I don't want to go through that again.

Also I have to say this book was completely different from what I expected it to be. The plot twists weren't really shocking to me even though I couldn't figure out the details on my own but most things were pretty obvious.

edit: I think I found out why I didn't like this book as much as I could have: there is just literally no hope. There are no good characters, no friends, no good guardians or figures Poppy can rely on that survive. And honestly it's just depressing and also perfect breeding ground for a toxic relationship (Poppy has no one else left and everyone besides HIM wants to kill her so..)
I will not read the next books because why would I just make myself purposely feel bad?

I do think Jennifer L. Armentrout is a great writer though and will definitely try another one of her series and maybe I will like them better :)