Reviews tagging Blood

From Blood and Ash, by Jennifer L. Armentrout

wackly93's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark medium-paced

ashwyn's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny mysterious sad tense slow-paced

It's entertaining enough, but it is very trope heavy, to the point that the plot only really starts getting important about 70% of the way through. Most of the book is filler and drags out because it focuses primarily on the romance, which would be okay, except nothing too substantial happens for upwards of 400 pages. The twist was really predictable so Poppy looked like an absolute idiot.

On Poppy: her character started out strong and then became whiney and moronic at the twist, which was really disappointing. She's written to be a badass, independent woman, and at times she is. Other times, she cannot think for herself, relies heavily on others (especially the hot guy she met like 2 weeks ago) and is excessively horny, not always at appropriate times too (and for like, no good reason). I like Poppy, but at the same time, I also don't. She's very slow on figuring things out, to the point I got second-hand embarrassment for her. Poppy is compelling, but also stupid. It is a very weird combination at times.

On Hawke: yeah whatever. He's a hot guy with a tragic backstory. Nothing too interesting or unique so far. He's funny though, so he is at least interesting to read. He also gets horny at bad times, like when Poppy is in pain, or sad, angry, or upset. Very gross tbh.

The action scenes were amazing but the book lacks setting descriptions so you kind of have no idea where they are a lot of the time. Also, the first 150 pages were the most confusing beginning of any book I've read. The reader gets dumped with info but not the information that actually makes sense for what is happening at that moment in the book so it is very, very confusing.

It's just the first book though so things usually improve. Don't know how there is going to be anything other than a second book because the plot already seems stretched thin for no reason other than wasting time.

kiaelisereads's review against another edition

adventurous dark funny reflective sad tense slow-paced

literaryillusions's review against another edition

adventurous emotional inspiring mysterious slow-paced

I legit don't want to label this as too many things 'cause I don't want to give anything away! Totally blew me away. The only reason I didn't give it five (it is really like 4.5) is because I wanted the dual POV - but Poppy honestly is so engaging I barely even noticed that! Totally going down a rabbit hole.

limitlessreads's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny inspiring mysterious sad tense fast-paced

I did not think I'd like this book at all. I actually ended up quite enjoying it. I even got teared up during a specific chapter. Badass MC and crazy plot twists...even if you do end up seeing some of them coming ;)

niita's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark mysterious tense medium-paced

I regret everything I've ever said about this book. It's starts off pretty slow, but after the Rite, things start to pick up. I've never really been a fan of the "Enemies to lovers" trope but this was pretty good. I wouldn't recommend for anyone with low patience though. Stick it though the end, you'll enjoy it ❤❤❤❤

miciahsreads's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional tense medium-paced

ka_ke's review against another edition

adventurous funny tense medium-paced

I wasn’t sure that I was going to finish From Blood and Ash at first, but I am so glad I pushed through. The beginning is a bit repetitive, but now that I have finished it, I understand why!

FBAA definitely lives up to the hype.

ldystargazer's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

Easily one of the better fantasy books I have read. Starts off a little slow and the size of the book is intimidating. However the second half and ending is well worth it!

mreno5's review against another edition

dark emotional sad tense slow-paced