Reviews tagging Body shaming

From Blood and Ash, by Jennifer L. Armentrout

jupiterlee's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

The only reason this book didn't get a 5Star is because I am not sure how the rest of the series is going to play out. We have been told it is going to be 6/7books and I am wondering how the lacing is going to work.so I knocked half a star off as I am not jumping to read the next book.
That does not mean that I have lost interest or I am not intrigued because I am, but I feel that for the time being, for me, it has ended nicely that I can leave it for a while and then go back (this is coming from someone who hates to read unfinished series due to not having patience to wait for the next books to come out so this is a purely bias opinion)

It does start of slightly slow but I believe this is due to all the information that the reader needed to understand the back story etc,but it does pick up!
this series has a badass curvy woman as the protagonist that is snarky and doesn't like being told what to do. Of course here is also a beautiful male counter part that I believe most woman (and men) would throw themselves at. There are also plenty of side characters that you can't help but love.

It is a story that deals with a lot of different themes and I love nothing better that power hungry abusing individuals get what the deserve.

It should possibly come with a few content warnings such as abuse, torture (in my opinion), violence etc but I do not believe that any of them are graphic enough that it should cause distress but if you have experienced any you may want to be careful!

As I said at the begining, the pacing of this book certainly picked up and if has left me wondering how we are going to get 6/7 books out of this series but I am excited to find out and I am in it for the journey.

miciahsreads's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional tense medium-paced

lornak14's review against another edition

reflective medium-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

level1055's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark mysterious tense medium-paced

Ummm... I don't know how Casteel became lovable to you all...
🙏

solinel7's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional funny inspiring sad tense medium-paced

I actually enjoyed this book so much. There were many things that I saw coming but one I didnt and that was the end.
It's been a day since I finished reading it and I haven't stopped thinking about it so, had to get the others. I don't know what to say without spoiling so...
I gave it a 4.5 rating but it might change.

If you plan on reading this, you should definitely look for a list of Trigger Warnings. It's really important.

janetriestoread's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense fast-paced

smazzeo96's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny mysterious sad medium-paced

ieryka_magic's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious slow-paced

heyymishh's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny mysterious tense medium-paced

The first 50 pages are a bit slow for the author to provide an info dump and world building but once you get past that….oooo baby you’re in for a ride. Every time I had a chance to read this I couldn’t put it down. I ended up finishing this at 4 am just to finish it. If you like dark fantasy with splash of spice this book is for you. Poppy is a fiery female protagonist that bends all the rules and Hawke her personal guard begins to spice up her typically sheltered life. I loved their chemistry and banter. The twist in the end was slightly predictable but still entertaining and left me definitely wanting to read the next book!

michellemaas's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense slow-paced

From Blood and Ash is a good book, but it definitely suffers from what I call "first book syndrome". A huge chunk of the book is dedicated to explaining the world, but it's paced very poorly so the first 6 chapters are so slow that you almost put the book down, and then the last few chapters are so fast that you finish the book confused. The actual world-building is so complicated though (and paced so poorly) that I didn't really understand it by the end but I will say that this all definitely gets better in books 2 and 3 so I would say it is worth suffering through the first few chapters for.

Now I'm going on to our main couple: Poppy and Hawke ; )
Poppy and Hawke have so much chemistry from the getgo. Their relationship is one of my all-time favorites (taking books 2 and 3 into account as well) and I would say this book gave the perfect introduction to their relationship which still has a lot of evolving to do.

The SMUT is also pretty good (since I know some of you were wondering). The amount of SMUT in this book was actually at a perfect level for me where it wasn't the only thing the book was about (there was one hell of a plot you had to focus on, after all) but it was also more than enough to satiate the need for it.

As I'm sure you heard by now, there's a huge plot twist in the end. It was pretty obvious but the plot twist has so many facets to it (and since most readers don't understand the world until book 2 anyway) you won't be able to guess it all so again I suggest you just suffer through it. I realize I used the word suffer quite a lot in this review but it actually really is a good book it's just the pacing that really ruined it.