Reviews for Diary of a Young Naturalist, by Dara McAnulty

isitreallyjess's review

adventurous hopeful informative inspiring reflective sad slow-paced

lenin_lover_69's review

emotional funny inspiring reflective sad slow-paced

Dara's writing is so beautiful and effortless, it is incredible to keep remembering he is only 14. It is remarkable in its mission to prompt reflection on how we engage and interact with the natural world and a timely reminder of the joy and rewards in slowing down to take it all in.

It (naturally) reminded me of a Robert McFarlane book though and I think carried the same niggling feeling of a creeping 'eco-fash' world view where 'humans as the virus' rather than rampant capitalism. But it feels unfair to ask that of Dara who is so young, and already has such a deep and nuanced understanding of the environment and natural world, and I feel at the end he experienced some of the salve a shared community and anger amongst other activists cam provide when you start to sink into the abyss of feeling like the world is doomed and everyone is awful. I feel like his punk roots (and amazing supportive family) will continue to push him in the right direction, and will be looking to read as much of him as I can in the meantime.

sarahmiller98's review against another edition

emotional inspiring reflective

lostwithoutabook's review

hopeful reflective sad slow-paced

rebeccahlm's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring reflective slow-paced

thisliteraryqueendom's review

hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

hayleyisreading's review

emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

manorclassics's review against another edition

"The chick inside looks like an autumn forest rolled in the first snows of winter." - Dara McAnulty on a Goshawk chick

It's hard to put into words how I felt reading this. It's completely immersive. Dara's writing is beautiful, a kind of poetical prose, so descriptive and imaginative but always sincere. I thoroughly enjoyed the descriptions of nature and how it made him feel.

Dara's experiences in school and other places, where he was mocked and bullied for being autistic, were at times heartbreaking. I was rooting for him all the time and it was lovely watching as he found himself. Reading his diary helped me to slow down and really look at the things I was observing out of my window and in the garden, something that I've tried to carry on doing since I finished the book.

One of my favourite reads of 2020 and one I recommend to everyone.

hbom's review against another edition

emotional informative reflective relaxing slow-paced

Incredibly captivating writing. It has completely changed the way I interact with the natural world and I see this as something I'll come back to again and again.

sarahgmolloy's review