Just Might Work, by Katia Rose

kaleerusnak's review

emotional funny medium-paced

readinginviolet's review

emotional hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

Loved this!! I really appreciated the effort Katia Rose took in writing Dane, including the realistic conversations about intimacy and body. Her spice scenes always feel so respectful and real while still being amazingly written. Her writing overall is gorgeous, and there were so many lines of beautiful description that really stood out to me. I did find the plot with Mark a little bit weaker than the rest of the book (Dane says he’s supposedly a great liar when he’s prepared but he’s really obviously lying at the dinner scene?) and I also felt like the transition from Dane and Evangeline disliking each other to being really attracted to each other was a bit sudden, but overall this was another amazing romance read!!

sophc's review

funny relaxing fast-paced

i love a good fake dating trope. this was a fast, easy, enjoyable romance read

janienefe's review

emotional lighthearted fast-paced

jcsoccer09's review

funny hopeful

randomnotes's review

funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

raincloudsandbooks's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing sad medium-paced

Thank you Storyorigin for the ARC of Just Might Work by Katia Rose in exchange for an honest review.

Overall I found Just Might Work enjoyable. Dane and Evangeline's relationship from "enemies" (and I say that losely) to lovers was both realistic, humorous and sweet. Their banter back and forth was met with both a real need for consent and respect for the other person which I don't think is often highlighted in romance books. This is also one of the first books I've read with non-binary MC and the conversations around how they wish to be addressed, what words they liked used, felt natural and not forced. It was refreshing to read and I appreciate Katia's commitment to it throughout the book.

While I enjoyed the characters a lot I did find the story to be repetative at times and began to lag by the end. Overall, I felt like Evangaline's story felt the flatest to me and her relationship with her parents to be the least developed. This lead for some drama by the end that felt rushed and under developed. Dane's narrative also suffered from some repetativeness, however I think it worked out better for the overall narrative and touched on the themes of consent and the desire to be heard that they were strugglign with internally throughout the narrative.

Overall, if you are looking for a fun summer read and want a cute romance about two young folx looking to find themselves, this is a good book to pick up.

gabbyaspiotis's review

i loved this so so so much!!!

i always love a good fake dating story and this one actually made sense and had everything i wanted! the tension, laughs, steam, everything.

evangeline was made for me i swear. she’s a smut lover and prefers reading about romances than trying to have any of her own. i connected with her so much. she’s a bit cynical when it comes to relationships but it makes sense once you know her backstory. however, that made her have a really interesting point of view that was distinct from dane’s.

dane was so fun! i liked the discussions around it being okay to not know what your gender/sexuality is. it made me feel really seen. i really felt for them when they were talking about their struggles with that and with their family not seeing them as anything but a deadbeat because they didn’t have a “typical career.”

but their relationship!!! it was so good! i loved the discussions around what the other person likes/doesn’t like and is comfortable with during sex because it made dane so much more safe and it’s really important to see those conversations happen. the amount of tension between the two was perfect, going from roommates who dislike each other to not being able to keep their hands off each other to being in love. you could really see it all play out and i felt like it went at the right pace to be believable.

the ending was also adorable and i loved how evangeline got closure with her parents and dane was able to follow their dreams of being a photographer!

thank you storyorigin for this arc in exchange for an honest review!

megan8711's review