Grimrose Girls, by Laura Pohl

biancareadsbook's review

InstagramTiktokBlog

Thank you to the publisher, Sourcebooks Fire and Netgalley for providing me with an e-arc in exchange for an honest review

The Grimrose Girls is a modern creative and very interesting retelling of our favorite fairytales told from the perspective of Ella, Yuki, Nina and Rory. I will admit, having 4 perspectives really put me off at the start but I actually enjoyed the many povs in this book. I think the easiest retelling to guess is Ella or Cinderella. The others are a bit harder to guess and I actually couldn't tell while reading. I stumbled across a post explaining the characters and now I can see all the subtle hints.

The story has magic/ fantasy aspects, a bit of romance (love Freddie!!!) and of course an amazing mystery that I couldn't crack! It's a bit hard to get into the book since there is a lot of backstory and hunting for answers/clues but around halfway through, things get really good! Laura Pohl's hints are so subtle but incredibly creative and well placed. So well that when I learned the name of the murderer I felt so silly for missing it. In between clue hunting, the girls still grow their friendship through shopping for fabric for the ball and spending time together which I thought was nice to keep in. The boarding school aspect also has a big part in the story and I love that it was obvious that the girls focused on school

Read more on my blog here

lise_books's review

4.5/5 stars

Have you ever read a book that you though was a stand alone and you get to the last twenty pages and realize that it’s actually the first book in a series and now you probably have to wait a year to read the next book (or in my case a year and a half because I read an ARC)?

That was me with this book. Intrigued by the summery— fairytale characters meets dark academia murder mystery— but learning that it was sapphic sealed the deal. I definitely thought it would be a stand alone though!

This book was such a fun read! It was quick paced, interesting, and I think I gasped out loud when I got to the end because I had not seen twist coming!

I would highly recommend this book.

Thank you to NetGalley and Sourcebooks Fire for providing me an eARC in exchange for an honest review!

sarahneil's review

dark mysterious fast-paced

3.5/5 stars. To be released November 2021.

Grimrose Girls is set at an exclusive boarding school in Switzerland that is shocked by the death of a student at the start of the school year. Her friends are convinced that she would never commit suicide and begin to search for answers. The answers are quite unexpected as they find a hidden book of fairy tales that has eerie connections to their own lives,

The cast of characters is very diverse and each explores personal growth and self acceptance. The author drops hints about which fairy tale the girl is connected to, which is fun to try and figure out.

erin_reads_boooks's review

Grimrose Girls is a unique twist on fairy tales. After Ari's drowning is ruled a suicide, her friends investigate to find out what really happened. It seems Grimrose has dark secrets and a curse. can they uncover the mystery before more deaths?
I enjoyed getting to know the girls, who were all facing their own problems. There were lots of twists that I didn't see coming. I'm looking forward to the next one!
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for this early copy to review.

tyttih's review

Thank you Netgalley and Sourcebooks Fire for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

I read this in a day because I've been dreading about tomorrow. My family went to bed and I stayed up as late as I can so I can sleep in late and won't have to worry about the university entrance exam results that'll probably be published tomorrow.

From the beginning it's clear this might not be my favorite thing in the whole world. I don't usually read young adult mysteries because I'm often let down by them. And at first this seems like another let down but as the story goes on I find myself liking it more. It takes a while for the story to really start to pick up so this won't be the book you should read when you're trying to get out of a reading slump. But once the pace picks up the book starts to get darker in a good way.

This book has tons of LGBTQ+ representation. I'm pretty sure none of the main characters are straight. And bonus points for actually using the words asexual and aromantic! Those one's are hardly ever mentioned.

I think part of the reason this was such a nice read for me during a really stressful time is because the characters dealt with a lot of teenage angst. They're trying to figure out themselves and I can relate to that instead of thinking about the exam results.

Describing this as "Pretty Little Liars"-esque is pretty on point. I kinda get the same vibe although I'm always horrified by the last seasons of that show and how bad it turned out. This doesn't turn out as bad.

One of the pet peeves I have with young adult mysteries is teenagers trying to investigate murder without parental supervision. Just seems overly stupid and reckless. Adults aren't really present in this book anyway (which in a way makes it easier to look over the fact how stupid this would be in real life).

All in all, I'd say this was a simple read that you should definitely read if this sounds like something you'd be interested in and I'd be interested in reading the sequel.

themixedpages's review