A Darker Shade of Magic, by V.E. Schwab

thislittlebooknerd's review

adventurous dark medium-paced

readingreverie's review

A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC follows Kell, a magician with the rare ability to transport between worlds, of which there are four. Kell is from Red London, brimming with life and living in harmony with magic. Gray London sits behind, drained of its magic long ago, while White London sits in front, ruled by Machiavellian twins hungry for power. Black London is a desolate waste-land having destroyed itself in an as yet unknown cataclysmic event. Its been closed off from the other Londons until Kell happens upon a relic that threatens to open its borders.

I’m always wary of London-based fantasy simply because the genre is so saturated, but I thoroughly enjoyed this one. The magic system in particular was a delight to read, and the characters enjoyable to befriend. The story does employ a few tropes I’ve become tired of—Lila Bard is “

caitlynhemmer's review

adventurous dark medium-paced

furzi's review against another edition

adventurous funny mysterious medium-paced

danifeatherstone's review against another edition

This was certainly entertaining and kept me going through the whole book, but in a way I was kind of let down by it because of all the hype surrounding it. It wasn't and it was what I expected but more. In a way it almost reminded me of Six of Crows and isn't quite young adult but isn't quite urban fantasy either. It's different, but the good kind of different. The kind that makes me want to pick up the second one!

juliareadsmeer's review

4,5

Definitely need more of those awesome characters!

ocean_the_reader's review

adventurous emotional fast-paced

I really enjoyed this. But I noticed that it contained a lot of run on sentences that I found distracting. I liked how it started and the last little bit was full of twists and turns and I loved it.

dreamofme's review

I couldn't get into the story despite the amazing reviews and the recommendations from other people

alwaysbereadin's review

I was honestly so scared to try this series and this author.

Booktube has hyped this up so much and I was worried that I was going to be one of those ornery people (like I am with most things) who hates what everyone else loves. but YOU GUYS...this was f'n LIT! Even this places with no "action" were so gripping, I couldn't get through this fast enough. I cannot wait to continue this series and my gosh, the V.E. Schwab love is reeeal.

paulina9's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny medium-paced