Reviews tagging Gore

A Darker Shade of Magic, by V.E. Schwab

parkyparkpark's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad tense fast-paced

bookmuffin's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

thefebruaryfriday's review

adventurous challenging dark funny mysterious tense medium-paced

I LOVED THIS BOOK AND ALL THE CHARACTERS!! I think that was great for the first book of the year. It made me tense anxious all the time, the twists and turns of the story surprised me every time and I really impressed.

It was great for the first book in a fantasy series, I felt like it was more focused on explaining the world and how the magic works instead of the characters but it doesn't mean we don't get great-built characters, it just means that we hope we can know more about them in the next books, see their relationship grow even more and see a bigger development.

The plot was also great, it got me hooked from the begging, I loved the short chapters, it really makes me wanna read more and V.E. Schwab's writing also helps because it made me care so much about the story and not the outside world and the time passing, I could only focus on Kell's story and I felt immersed by it. It was like breathing, you do it unconsciously but it's extremely important to you, you can't stop.

jednakniekinga's review

adventurous dark fast-paced

alicew4k's review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful mysterious tense medium-paced

antoniarachael28's review against another edition

adventurous dark funny mysterious tense slow-paced

podanotherjessi's review

adventurous dark lighthearted fast-paced

Let me start by saying this book is good. Really good even. It's definitely enjoyable. But I just don't love it, and I don't really know why.
The characters are simple, but they still have motivations that make sense, and they're deep enough to be believable. The plot had a habit of introducing information in weird ways - either just in time to be useful or just after the reader was surprised by something. Sometimes, an explanation in the text (that was very tell-y) would leave out a detail and then only provide it later after a twist happened that the reader might have expected if we'd had that info. That kind of thing.
But it's fun and quick and light if that's what you're looking for in a book. I just was expecting something more after all of the hype.

Characters - 7

robin_15's review

adventurous dark fast-paced

a_saint_kriz's review

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

Not much to say other than it’s a good book with a good premise that keeps the pages turning well into the night.
Both protagonists are complex, flawed, and lovable characters who don’t feel like props or objects to be pushed around. Lila, the girl protagonist, is not pushed around by the plot but in fact, dictates how the plot will happen. Most, if not all, of her decisions, have significant effects on the story and change the male protagonist's path several times.
Personally, Kell took a bit to get used to; I didn’t connect with the character initially and naturally leaned toward Lila, but as he came into his own he revealed characteristics that I identified with. Once with him - and once the plot really began to thicken - I couldn’t put this book down. I drank it down like sweet tea, I had to know what happened. And even then, at every point the book could have thrown trouble in their way, it did, and the slow realization that the protagonists were never safe only fueled the fire.
I read a review that argued this was a ploy for a screenplay, and let’s be clear - I agree, but I don’t see anything wrong with that. Let people movie-bait. Let women write just as cheesy as men.
Lila also seems to be a derisive character in that many people find her annoying. To that, I ask: is she annoying or are you still working through internalized misogyny? Do you always find cutthroat characters only out to save themselves hard to connect to? Or is it a subconscious belief that aggressive women characters are annoying? Either way, I loved her and would prefer to read about how her life of conquest and adventure unfolds.

eve_reads's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

Overall Thoughts:
 ⁕ If you’re someone who enjoys YA fantasy but want to introduce more adult fantasy into your reading, this book is the perfect stepping stone! There are lots of mature themes present, but it’s not overly complicated and still has some quirky banter and other YA staples.

⁕ This book is SUPER fast-paced and action-packed (hello, fight scenes!).

⁕ Schwab sets the stage beautifully for the character development of our two main heroes by introducing us to all their desires, ugly fears, and bad habits.

⁕ I would take a bullet for Lilah Bard. That is all.

To read my full review, visit: https://evereads681579800.wordpress.com