Reviews tagging Torture

A Darker Shade of Magic, by V.E. Schwab

triin_s's review against another edition

adventurous dark medium-paced

thefebruaryfriday's review

adventurous challenging dark funny mysterious tense medium-paced

I LOVED THIS BOOK AND ALL THE CHARACTERS!! I think that was great for the first book of the year. It made me tense anxious all the time, the twists and turns of the story surprised me every time and I really impressed.

It was great for the first book in a fantasy series, I felt like it was more focused on explaining the world and how the magic works instead of the characters but it doesn't mean we don't get great-built characters, it just means that we hope we can know more about them in the next books, see their relationship grow even more and see a bigger development.

The plot was also great, it got me hooked from the begging, I loved the short chapters, it really makes me wanna read more and V.E. Schwab's writing also helps because it made me care so much about the story and not the outside world and the time passing, I could only focus on Kell's story and I felt immersed by it. It was like breathing, you do it unconsciously but it's extremely important to you, you can't stop.

marcusvuong's review

adventurous lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

The story is about Kell, a dimension-hopping wizard, and Lila, a cunning thief, who must work together to bring a forbidden magical stone back to where it came from, all while dealing with plots and schemes from a pair of evil overlord twins from a different world.

The beginning chapters were highly intriguing by introducing and exploring 4 versions of Londons existing on different dimensions, and Kell is one of the few people who can travel between them. The excitement, however, kinda tapered off as the story dragged on. It relied too much on tropes and archetypes at times to push the plot forward, without doing anything more creative and engaging with them. This is especially true for some of the characters.

My favorites are Lila and Rhy. Combining Rhy's flirtatious and naive attitude with Lila's snarky humor, their future interactions are sure to be fun to read. There were also some great moments between Kell and Lila, and I was really invested in where Lila’s character was gonna go. I just kinda wish that the story made use of her more
Spoilerand was the one to defeat one of the main antagonists
since I’ve been wanting to read stories with non-magical cunning underdogs defeating highly powerful bad guys. When she claimed she contributed half of the work of saving the kingdom, all I could think was ‘Really, Lila? Did you really do that? You felt more like the annoying, but sometimes useful sidekick that the main hero had to drag along for the journey more than a partner here.’

The most disappointing thing in this story is the main antagonists,
SpoilerHolland and the Dane twins
. I was highly interested when they were first introduced, and I was ready to get to know more about them. Imagine how bummed out I was when the story didn’t explore them more and expand their characters
Spoilerand just killed them off at the end. And their deaths were kinda underwhelming as well
. And don’t even get me started on Vitari, the black magic stuff.
SpoilerWhen hearing how dangerous it was, I kinda expected that by the end, it would leave lasting and impactful consequences for the world(s) at large, but I guess not.

Overall, the ending kinda wrapped up too neatly for me to feel satisfied. Not even sure if I would continue the series. We’ll see.

wolfed's review against another edition

adventurous funny mysterious fast-paced

wiktoria88's review

adventurous emotional funny mysterious tense medium-paced

creepypiespice's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense fast-paced

elicardaleisgay's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

danajoy's review against another edition

adventurous dark

mathsaerie's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark inspiring mysterious tense medium-paced

birthisacurse's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense slow-paced