Reviews tagging Violence

A Darker Shade of Magic, by V.E. Schwab

krijemseoddusana's review

adventurous challenging mysterious slow-paced

djwudi's review against another edition

adventurous dark medium-paced

A recommendation from my 10-year-old niece (V.E. Schwab is her favorite author), this was a fun fantasy adventure through multiple magical Londons. Neat worldbuilding and magic rules and styles; perhaps a bit more violent than I would have expected from a pre-teen’s recommendation (apparently Schwab also writes YA books, which is how my niece came across her, but this is one of her adult novels), but her parents also read and enjoyed it, she’s none the worse for reading it, and I’ve certainly read far worse.

awreading's review

adventurous dark emotional funny mysterious tense fast-paced

daniel_b17's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

I would just like to set the record straight that I think VE Schwab is an amazing writer and she has a way with words that could quite literally glue you to the book. However in this particular novel I didn't find it as captivating. When I say that I mean that I think she could have easily extended the book by a couple hundred pages or so to allow for some world building. I think the idea of the book and the magic is a very interesting idea, I just don't think it was used to it's fullest potential. I never really felt connected to the characters nor did I feel any particular excitement when reading. It felt as though the book was fairly dull after about the half way mark. I could start predicting things that were gonna happen, because the plot of the book is one that is very well known in the fantasy genre.

The choice of how magic works in this world/worlds I found interesting and didn't conform to the typical magical tropes. I do think however that, that was the one thing that kept me reading... We are kind of dropped into this world where Kell is an already a very powerful Antari, and we really don't get to see who he was before being so powerful. I would have loved a little more explanation about his training and his work to get where he was, as it is only vaguely touched on in the book. That is why, as I said, I think the book could have easily been 100-200 pages longer just focusing on establishing the worlds and the characters.

This book however was a fun read and I would recommend it to anyone looking to just get into the fantasy genre. The book was not challenging in terms of understanding the plot, however at times the vocabulary I found was very advanced. I would not recommend it for anyone under the age of 10.

triin_s's review against another edition

adventurous dark medium-paced

bookmuffin's review against another edition

alexiab's review

adventurous mysterious tense slow-paced

W O W. what an incredible story. What an incredible start to a series. I shouldn’t be so blown away by VE Schwab’s unique stories and beautiful prose and yet here I am. Blown away.

I think my absolutely favourite part of this authors writing is the way she introduces the reader to a brilliant and intriguing concept, and just lets the story unfold. The flow is excellent, the characters are beyond charming, and the magical world and all it’s drama is so gripping that I can’t make myself stop reading.

I deeply regret putting off this book for so long. I didn’t want it to end despite knowing full well there were 2 more books. Where the hell can the story go from here?!

ericasbookshelf_'s review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark mysterious medium-paced

liliuma's review against another edition

inkfingers's review