Reviews tagging 'Bullying'

Squad, by Maggie Tokuda-Hall

amberinpieces's review against another edition

adventurous dark fast-paced

foreverinastory's review

challenging dark fast-paced

I wanted to love this but this was not what I was expecting. There were so many toxic things in here and I was not prepared for it. Or the cannibalism.

Squad is the story of Becca, a transfer student to an elite high school. She doesn't expect to be adopted into the popular clique. But she is and now she has friends. Friends that are sometimes mean to each other, but that's the price of belonging right? Then Becca finds out her friends are werewolves and they prey on boys who sexually assault people. Becca agrees to be turned and together the four of them are unstoppable. When Arianna's predatory boyfriend is accidentally killed, cops begin looking for a serial killer and the girls world begins to unravel.

I guess in all this a good guide on what friendship shouldn't look like. You shouldn't be afraid of your friends. They should call you by the name you want them to use. They shouldn't insult your body or what you do with it.

I did like Becca's romantic storyline, even though it did feel a tad underdeveloped. Overall, I think this was not for me, which is par for the course with me and werewolf books honestly.

Rep: queer Asian American female MC, sapphic white female love interest, Black female side character, white fat female side character, BIPOC female side character, hijabi BIPOC female side character.

CWs: Murder, cannibalism, violence, attempted sexual assault, attempted rape, death, gore, blood, toxic friendship, bullying, sexual harassment, body shaming, slut shaming, misogyny, sexism, lesbomisia/lesbophobia, underage alcohol consumption, fatphobia, toxic relationship. Moderate: Racism and racial microaggressions, eating disorder mention, ableism, classism, grief.

jjreads331's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad tense fast-paced

benediction's review

challenging dark tense medium-paced

wet_towlette's review

dark mysterious fast-paced

I don’t know how else to describe except it felt kinda flat. The jumps from one chapter to next felt abrupt. Actually most everything felt abrupt but it wasn’t bad. It just wasn’t particularly good either. I really like the art though.

frantic_vampire's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense fast-paced

I’m having a hard time trying to put my thoughts for Squad into words. Mostly because I’ve got mixed feelings about it. Yes, it’s a fun read and it gave me the same vibes that The Scapegracers did! It’s a perfect read for spooky season and Halloween. But it also had its issues.

I loved the sapphic werewolves mixed with the horror plot. But I really didn’t like the minor homophobic comments or the toxic mean girl clique. However I really did love the contradiction of the bright colors with the darkness of the story line in this graphic novel. The only other thing I wasn’t really a fan of was the way these girls used each other as bait for their kills. Sure, they were going after guys that were taking advantage of girls but the way they went about it felt a little…gross.

So. While I really enjoyed reading this one, I don’t think I can give this one above four stars. I’m stuck somewhere between 3.75 and 4 stars for this one. But maybe a little closer to 3.75.

saltylane's review

adventurous dark fast-paced

Without thinking too critically about it, I can say I rather liked this book! I enjoyed the different characters, though I wish they’d gotten a bit more of actual development and growth. Either way, femme lovers and supernatural beasties are totally up my alley.

mermaidsherbet's review against another edition

dark tense slow-paced

booksthatburn's review against another edition

adventurous tense fast-paced

zombiezami's review

dark emotional funny tense fast-paced

I describe this book as Mean Girls meets Jennifer's Body. I thought the art was great, and I enjoyed the characters. I didn't like that
Spoilerthe protagonist's love interest ended up being someone who kept making racist microaggressions towards her.
Still, the narrative was fun, and I liked the designs and the story.