Bayou, Vol. 1, by Jeremy Love

jmanchester0's review

Um. Wow.

Jeremy Love is an amazing artist. And a fantastic writer.

I have never come across this comic (webcomic) before, and was truly entranced. A young black girl (Lee) and a young white girl (Lily) are friends in Mississippi in the 1930s. Jeremy Love gives you a look at a side of the south we tend to want to forget, with a touch of fantasy thrown in the mix.

I can't decide what I liked better: the riveting story, or the beautiful art.

Plus: a history lesson. I had never heard of Fort Gadsden and the horrible destruction that took place there. But I did a bit of research, and couldn't believe what happened. More history we don't spend time on in high school.

Heartily recommended. And now I have to get volume 2 to find out what happens.

library_hungry's review

Not a lot of great comics out there--I think this might be great comics. Jim Crow South meets the land of fairy--creepy, dangerous, beautiful.

melanie_reads's review

Where to start with this book ... this is what good art (and good literature) should do. Push you past your comfort zone. Make you have visceral gut reactions. And realize that this piece of historical fiction is still being played out across America today. Great work Jeremy Love!

meghan_is_reading's review

little girl forced into the fantasy land of the bayou when her white friend gets eaten by Jim Crow and her father is set to take the fall in jim-crow era south. the beginnings of a hero's quest with a really strong female character. can't wait to read the next volume.

katiegrrrl's review

Dark graphic novel set in southern sort of other side of the looking glass.

mlindner's review

anacaona's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad tense fast-paced

sarahbowman101's review

Woah. Intense.

aprilo23's review

Very well crafted! The illustrations are nightmarish in the best possible way, perfectly complementing some pretty heavy themes.

bearunderthecypresses's review

If I'm reading a graphic novel, it's only because my mother or Susan has recommended it to me. Thank you Susan! What an intense read! Left me on the edge wanting Volume 2 also - I'm glad we ordered it!!