A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini

eellikk's review against another edition

dark emotional hopeful informative fast-paced

idilma's review

dark emotional informative sad medium-paced

vd888's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful inspiring sad tense medium-paced

mummybadger's review against another edition

I’ve read quite a few books this year about women’s roles in different cultures, many of which have made me feel and lucky in equal measure. A Thousand Splendid Suns is one of these books. The resilience of women in such horrific situations is so beautifully portrayed in this heartbreaking book. Coupled with the political history of Afghanistan, I found the book was both informative and provided a much needed perspective. It is shocking that this kind of treatment still exists and is readily accepted in many cultures across the globe even now.

c_barker's review

This was an absolutely beautiful novel. I read it after finishing "The Kite Runner" and while it explores many of the same themes, I loved hearing from the perspective of women. It is heart breaking yet triumphant.

sarjsch's review

a great follow up to kite runner... also as sad

ayushinayak's review

Only marginally better than The Kite Runner, this book is just a random collection of emotional memories type of book which can be ignored. I didn't find any specialty in this book. It is mediocre all throughout!

rowele's review

I was tempted to rate it higher because the ending made me cry, but I don't want to change just because of that. I really enjoyed reading from the female perspective and hearing how what their experience might have been like during that time.

juulis's review

challenging dark emotional informative medium-paced

ezrazoe4's review

emotional sad slow-paced

This book is way better than the Kite Runner. I didn't expect to like it as much as I do when I started reading it, but it totally subverted my expectations. The writing is still easy to read, but the story is so much more powerful and touching, and it helps that the characters feel real. I love Mariam so much- my favourite character in this book. I don't usually feel much towards the antagonists but
Spoilerwhen he died at the end I felt so vindicated. Not many antagonists can make me hate them with all my heart.

All in all, this is a great book. I throughly enjoyed it.