The Code for Love and Heartbreak by Jillian Cantor

bookbirdie09's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

evarano's review

DNF at 35%. I did enjoy the beginning but around 20% I found myself very bored, the story was just lacking. The characters were okay, I didn't find Emma overly likeable. I do think there could've been potential with the potential love triangle however I found Emma very young and immature. Her lack of experience made her present as boring and childish. It just wasn't compelling enough for me. Writing wasn't bad, but too many unnecessary details. I wanted more from this book. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the free preview in exchange for an honest review.

biw's review

Lmao fuck this book

melanie_books's review against another edition

Emma wants this year's coding club project to be the best ever. It's her senior year and she has a particular wish to with the State coding finals. When an off-handed comment from her sister Isabella, who is away at college, settles in, she comes up with the perfect project: to create an app that matches people at her school according to their statistical likelihood of falling in love. George Knightley, her co-president of the club, thinks it's a ridiculous idea. But when she matches up two of their teachers - Miss Taylor & Mr. Weston - and it goes well, the project picks up steam. But things don't go according to plan, as they rarely do when love is involved.

This was a fun retelling of Jane Austen's classic Emma. There were a lot of things that were very similar to the original (Emma's aloofness, her and George's history together, etc.) but things that were fresh and new (such as Jane Fairfax becoming actual friends with Emma, a nice redemptive touch.) The unfolding of the story was much the same - though I felt a little cheated that we didn't have a "badly done, Emma" showdown - and the ending was perfect! If you like YA and Austen, this book might just be for you!

clp34's review

funny lighthearted fast-paced

books4susie's review

This story is a cute modern redo of Jane Austen's Emma. Emma Woodhouse and George Knightley are co-presidents of the coding club at Highbury High. The club decides to go with Emma's idea to create an app named The Code for Love, their take on Match.com for their school. Of course, math and numbers soothe Emma, but as the club begin to match their classmates to one another, she starts to realize that love isn't as simple as a mathematical formula. A super cute rom-com.

taylorward04's review

I was looking for new books at my library and this was on a shelf with other books about love, presumably because it is February. I thought it sounded cute so I decided to give it a go.

This book was super adorable! Very predictable but I love those kinds of books I can just kind of get lost in. The book was very well written and the characters were very like-able. I really enjoyed this book and would read it again. Definitely recommend if you are looking for a fast read that is lighthearted and fun.

wayfaringwanderer's review

lighthearted

ammbooks's review against another edition

coding + high school awkwardness + romance = super cute, very engaging story. Loved how Ms. Cantor has Emma grow, make mistakes, fix mistakes and continue her journey thru her final year of High School.

tlynn_07_14_21's review

Female mc seemed a little blind to life. George was the most relatable.