Angel Landing by Alice Hoffman

shiloniz's review

This is Hoffman's third novel, still at the very beginning of her career. We haven't yet entered into her world of magical realism that permeates the near entirety of her work. If she wasn't my favorite author and I didn't already know her entire body of work this wouldn't be a great introduction. The protagonist feels largely underdeveloped. The side characters seem to have more depth than her. However, that being said, I've said it before and I'll say it a thousand times, any Alice Hoffman is better than no Alice Hoffman.

specialk046's review

I was kind of disappointed with this story. I can definitely tell she is finding her way as a writer because her later books are much better written. I felt like this story was kind of thrown together and it did not really seem to have much point. He bombed the plant and then nothing really happened! It was just too tightly tied up with a bow at the end and adding in the relationship aspect was just weird. It could have been developed a lot better. Definitely not one of her best.

meg_wadlington's review

So disappointed. I really enjoyed practical magic. This is not on par with that at all. I only identified/tolerated one of the characters. The elderly aunt (not that elderly, but they acted like 70 was ancient) was spunky. Everyone else was selfish and mopey. Meh.

alysereadsbooks's review

I love Alice Hoffman’s books, but this one was not my favorite. The plot was strange, although the characters were dynamic. It was disappointing.

jillmwald's review

I like Alice Hoffman but this was not her best.

sophierayton's review

This book made me give up on Alice Hoffman, but after a break I'm ready to give her another try. Definitely not her best.

jlrmac's review

I listened to the audio version and it took me a few tries to get into the book and figure out the characters and plot. I think the audio narrator does a very good job of conveying emotions, personalities, and humor and most likely enhaced the story for me. Somehow I don't think I would have enjoyed it nearly as much if I just read it because a lot of time there is overlapping dialogue where the main characters are trying to talk while, incongruously, others are chattering on. One humorous incident is during the vegetarian Thanksgiving when Natalie and Michael are trying to have a quiet personal conversation (about having sex) while the octengenarians around them are prattling on about love. Carter, the activist, didn't really come through with any dimensions, but perhaps that is because for him no relationship was more important that his activism for "mankind." It was an OK read, and I liked the romance that evolved between Natalie and "Flint."