The Burning God, by R.F. Kuang

kristinarr's review

dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

annedreya's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

alienor's review

"Take what you want, it said. I’ll hate you for it. But I’ll love you forever. I can’t help but love you.
Ruin me, ruin us, and I’ll let you."

Ah, fuck. You know what's hilarious? I thought I was prepared. I knew [b:The Burning God|45857086|The Burning God (The Poppy War, #3)|R.F. Kuang|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1584965579l/45857086._SY75_.jpg|70666057] would ruin my life but it all came to pass in a way I hadn't anticipated—and really, after [b:The Dragon Republic|41118857|The Dragon Republic (The Poppy War, #2)|R.F. Kuang|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1539963703l/41118857._SY75_.jpg|64240081]? I should have known better. I should have known that Rebecca Kuang would slowly make me accept a fate I dreaded, only to rip it to shreds and give my pain another face instead.

The sheer brilliance of that ending will haunt me for years to come—I've finished it at 10pm yesterday, spent 3 hours rereading the last 20 pages, read [b:The Drowning Faith|55927316|The Drowning Faith (The Poppy War, #2.5)|R.F. Kuang|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1606919817l/55927316._SX50_.jpg|87139336], and sobbed. Then I reread the last 20 pages and all my favorite scenes, again. I woke up this morning and thought of dragons.

“I am the force of creation… I am the end and the beginning. The world is a painting and I hold the brush. I am a god.”

This book was PERFECTION. This book—this series—Rin, Kitay and Nezha—will stay with me forever.

nermo's review against another edition

adventurous emotional tense medium-paced

latoyadawson13's review

adventurous challenging medium-paced

I am having a hard time figuring out the rating for this book. It was definitely the best in the trilogy.

What I liked:
- I loved Kitay so much he is really what keep me interested in engaged he was definitely Rin's conscious throughout.  He was also like the only logical person, but he had his faults.

- I really enjoyed a lot of the "villains" or morally grey characters in this series. I felt like their motivations were so clear and understand their actions. I didn't agree with them but understood them.

- I did find the main plot generic and unique lol. I did foreshadow the ending from the very beginning.

- I loved the Chinese history and shamanism. I learned so many things.

- I think the writing was strong. I did think it was much clearer writing

- I did enjoy the ruthlessness in this series. Its very realistic representation of war.

What I didn't like:
- I did see Rin's growth in this series, not as much as I would like but a realistic amount. She is by far for me the most unlikeable characters, it made it difficult for me to connect with the books overall. I also understand she is meant to be the way so Kuang's writing and story telling was done perfectly. I didn't enjoy her or like her like most generals in war they are unlikable and make bad decisions. She was cocky and insecure. just frustrating the whole way

- Really I had the hardest time with the maturity of characters. I really don't want to relate maturity to age. because even though thats a traditional correlation i find that there are so many young people mature and old people that are not. The constant temper tantrums and whining throughout drove me crazy! The demands for respect without earning it. The idea that you know everything when you haven't had this experiences before. It drove me crazy down to the very end.

I had to be the only person that didn't shed a single tear reading this series. I feel like this is representation of good storytelling and writing. Hating and loving aspects of a novel.

lauren07's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

hammhands's review

challenging dark tense medium-paced

qdove's review

adventurous dark emotional sad tense slow-paced

jennjen's review against another edition

It doesn’t go away. It never will. But when it hurts, lean into it. It’s so much harder to stay alive. That doesn’t mean you don’t deserve to live. It means you’re brave.

fuck this book. i am not okay. whyy

snortingpages's review

this book shattered my heart, i'm never getting over it. *you know who* deserved better. another *you know who* needs to pay for my therapy.
forever gonna love this trilogy so much. and hate myself for doing this to myself.