Murder Most Actual, by Alexis Hall

porshea's review against another edition

Too long for a novella length premise

kethlinmil's review

I think the universe sent me this book as an apology for the "Magpie Murders" that I've read and hated earlier this year.

"Murder Most Actual" is how you actually do an Agatha Christie-inspired whodunnit in 2020s. Awesome book!

oceans's review

i rarely give out full 1 stars but this was so painfully boring. i had no idea why the mc's were together at all other than nostalgia and i had no idea on how to feel about the horrifying things happening and the light funny-ish tone which i usually love in alexis hall books but here i really didn't. the side characters were all so annoying and i find jealously absolutely pointless so there's nothing i didn't dislike here and no one's sadder about it3

paddlefoot55's review

ARC received for an honest review

You know how in the past I have said that I would never, ever visit Midsomer, as the chances of ending up a murder victim were high?

Well, not as high as they are if you visit this Scottish hotel - you really would be lucky to get out alive!

It really like sleuthing with Liza, and feeling for Hanna as their marriage seemed to be crumbling before their eyes. I liked the way they both adapted to what was happening, and adapted their relationship to the here and now.

Now, there was so many twists and turns, you never knew who was going to turn up dead next. And I didn't have a clue whodunnit really - and I usually have an inkling.

Murder Most Actual was a cute and cozy mystery that will leave you guessing.

jennareadsthings's review

Very cute! Cozy for sure and I loved all the Cluedo hints.

rekhamohan1's review

dark emotional funny mysterious tense medium-paced

sfelkar's review

adventurous lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

allybnerdy's review

adventurous dark emotional funny mysterious fast-paced

georgia5xg's review against another edition

middle aged and on the brink of divorce? you’ll love this book

ourxstorybegins's review

I had so much fun with this book! The balance of the murder mystery story with the struggle between the main characters and their marriage kept things interesting when one might get a little slow. As always, Alexis Hall writes absolutely INCREDIBLE dialogue between characters. Every character, whether they're more serious characters or not, still end up in funny situations and have hilarious dialogue.

I also adore the homage to Clue that came with this book. Characters like the Colonel who was wearing "mustard yellow" or the professor in purple, etc. That, the chapter titles, and the story as a whole just felt like a story for fans of Clue or Knives Out. The whole thing was a really great time, and without spoiling, I love how it ended.