Reviews tagging Death

Murder Most Actual, by Alexis Hall

taratearex's review

funny lighthearted mysterious relaxing medium-paced

This was a cute and fun murder mystery. It takes place in a snowed in hotel where the characters are all stuck and I read it in February in the winter when I feel like there's nothing to do and nowhere to go, so it was an extra cozy read. I liked the play on the Clue murder mystery with over the top characters and farfetched events- yes you'll have to suspend your disbelief a bit, but I don't know how you couldn't given it's a play on the "people are stuck in a house and suddenly start getting murdered". I liked that the lead characters were a lesbian couple and it was cute that the main sleuth is a murder mystery podcaster. Having the main characters be a younger lesbian couple and most of the other characters old "fuddy-duddies" made for some fun banter and nice jabs and sides about politics. I got a bit lost in the tangled web of the mystery, but I just went with it and I like the turn it took, going for a bit of an over the top plot that is grounded in reality somehow worked. Once I got towards the last dozen chapters I really didn't want to put it down. If you like murder mysteries with some comedy, especially if you liked Clue the movie, I would definitely pick this up.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me the e-book in exchange for an honest review.

soobooksalot's review

challenging funny lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

A cozy mystery in the tradition of Clue, you say?
Well, Clue happens to be my favourite board game AND favourite movie. So when Kobo releases it's exclusive Murder Most Actual with comparisons to my faves, I'm in. Also I do happen to enjoy author Alexis Hall and my Kobo. So it's a win-win-win.
Hanna and Liza have been together 10 years and their marriage has lost it's spark, it's magic. Perhaps a long weekend away at a grand, snowy, castle-esque hotel - lacking many murders - should help?
So things don't turn out as hoped on the murder element.
Though it doesn't hurt that Liza is a well-known crime podcaster, and would rather everybody stop insulting her career, thanks!
This is a nicely turned-out mystery, featuring nods to the aforementioned Clue as well as some Agatha Christie. It's a fun, witty read with many turns I didn't expect. Recommended!

musebeliever's review