The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde

femininequeer's review against another edition

Truly one of the greatest classics I have ever read. The writing was so beautiful and captivating. I am going to have to read it again so that I can make annotations.

roshni02's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective medium-paced

smartens's review against another edition

dark funny mysterious reflective sad slow-paced

ireri's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective tense slow-paced

amandare's review against another edition

Necesito releerlo

corpsewitch's review against another edition

definitely a book I'm going to have to reread eventually

bartlebybleaney's review against another edition

What an unusual book. It wasn't at all the sort of thing I'd expected based on what I'd heard about it. It seemed, at first, as thought Wilde had attempted to write a novel by pasting together all of his best witticisms and one long speech after another. After a while, the book almost seemed to be morphing into a Dickens novel. Eventually, Wilde gives us a marvelous chapter that consists almost entirely of pageants in a Spenserian or Chaucerian mode--something I haven't come across in any other novel, though I suppose Joyce tried to that sort of thing in Ulysses.

I tore through this. It was that very rare species of book that is both a pleasure to read with regard to the language *and* that I couldn't wait to discover the climax.

swordsandsapphics's review against another edition

"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame."

Yup. That quote right there is a pretty good line to describe this book.

I've had this book recommended to me so many times that it's not even funny. I finally caved recently and boy, should I have listened to them sooner. This book was super incredible -- Dorian, Basil, Lord Henry, and even Sibyl Vane were all fascinating characters, and some of the things that Dorian actually had the audacity to do later on just drove me speechless. I adore Wilde's prose, too. I wrote a little bit after reading this book, and I swear, his style rubbed off on me so much. But in a good way.

It's also good to read this book knowing the context behind it, mainly in relation to Wilde's homosexuality. If you don't know about that, I'd recommend looking into it while reading the book, because it gives you a whole new perspective. It becomes obvious that this was a deeply personal book for Wilde.

My one complaint was that sometimes the prose felt bloated, and stuffed with references to classical literature that didn't quite need to be there. Seriously, there was literally one whole page that had nothing but analogies relating to other literature. I just skimmed that section. But given the rest of the good about the book, I think it's relatively easy for me to overlook.

Super good book. Now I actually want to read more classics. Who would have thought?

kpeeps111's review against another edition

I really enjoyed this book. Entertaining but also thought provoking. There were times I dearly wished to punch Dorian and/or Lord Henry right in the face for being such assholes, but that was kind of the point so I guess it was pretty effective. I wish I had actually read it instead of listening to the audiobook, because I feel like there are a lot of things that I missed and I think I would have been able to process it better. Anyway, it's times like these when I wish I had a book club or an English class or something to discuss themes and stuff.

lalaulalalau's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious reflective medium-paced

Once you get used to the constant misogyny and Lord Henry's insufferable hedonism, it's not a bad book!

I was ready to give this book a 2.5 precisely because of how insufferable Lord Henry is and how the book drags from time to time (Chapter 11 in my edition was especially torturous) but once the action kicked in I was invested again.

All in all, I can understand why this book is a Classic and it does pose some very interesting views (Dorian's descent as a character most of all) but... It wasn't for me, really.