We Were Restless Things by Cole Nagamatsu

sassysoda13's review

adventurous mysterious slow-paced

Slow start to get into the book but once it picked up I wanted to keep reading, enjoyed that it was told from different characters throughout and we got to see different perspectives.

weeptchi's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional hopeful mysterious medium-paced

gayathiri_rajendran's review

Thanks to NetGalley and Sourcebooks for a review copy of this book. The below opinions are my own.

This book was a miss for me. the cover is so pretty and it had the chance to be good but that gets lost in the plot and the pacing which felt really dragged out. I felt very bored with this one and I couldn't connect with the story and couldn't care less for the characters.

It felt disappointing.

skellentons's review

3.5stars

dannysreads's review

3 stars for the idea of this book.
First off I love most of the characters but some of them felt very fodder. Gaetan was hands down my favorite and i hate hate hate that he was made a love interest. There was so much potential for this book but the overall execution felt very silly and the “twist” was really….not good in my opinion. Overall it was a leisurely read and I really wish i liked it more or it had more substance.

yalestay's review

dark mysterious medium-paced

readsewpole's review

Ugh, no I did not like this book.

bookmarvel's review

4/23
The gay little hints between Lyle and Amberlyn

mikena0408's review

dark emotional mysterious slow-paced

maralyons's review

'We Were Restless Things' by Cole Nagamatsu is an atmospheric and poetically written YA novel with elements magical realism. The plot revolves around Jonas and Noemi and a mystery of how a classmate drowned in a forest the year before. The story begins when Jonas moves to a new town into a home with his father, his girlfriend, and girlfriend’s daughter-Noemi. The aftermath of the friend’s death is felt by Noemi and her friends, who Jonas gets to know. Noemi and Jonas live near the forest that took their friend’s life. The descriptions, especially of the forest and magical elements, are stunningly beautiful. Though the concept is fascinating, the plot is a bit uneven. There is not a lot of action through much of the novel. Sophie Amoss and Tom Picasso excellently narrate the audiobook, each taking turns to narrate parts in the perspective of the young women and young men in the story. They really enhance the eerie atmosphere of Nagamatsu has created in their writing.

Thank you RB Media and NetGalley for providing this audiobook ARC.